Cherry Creek Mine

A place to explore the natural setting (geology, flora & fauna), people, constructed infrastructure and historical events that play and have played a part in shaping the Sierra Nevada as we know it today.
Ikan Mas
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Cherry Creek Mine

Post by Ikan Mas »

A couple of weeks ago when I was in Emigrant Wilderness, we stopped by the Cherry Creek Mine on our way down from Snow Lake to Huckleberry Lake. We took some photos with the intent so do some research on what the mine was like when we got back. The mine ran up until the 1960s and was the source of the road that runs from Leavitt Lake to Horse Meadow and the mine. I believe they were mining tungsten. We were able to find a number of articles on the mine, but only one photo of it in the 90s. Does anyone have any photos of the mine from 20-30 years ago or older? Would like to see them. Curious what the mine building looked like before being hit by multiple avalanches. Must have been a bummer for the mine owner to spend all the trouble of getting up there in the spring only to find the place pushed off the mountain. Anyhow, here's a few photos of what it looks like now.
Hopper pushed down the hill
Building platform
The site
Ore Car upside down
Shaft blasted shut
Generator
Motor and crusher
Conveyor(?)
paul
Topix Expert

Re: Cherry Creek Mine

Post by paul »

Can't tell you anything about the mine, but I recall back in the 80's the road was still passable and in fact I saw a pickup truck on the road at High Emigrant Lake. I have also seen some old mining remains - old canvas/rubber hoses and iron bars - up on the ridge above Bond Pass.
venturefar
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by venturefar »

Maybe this will help. Here's a scan of an old geological survey bulletin. The Cherry Creek mine is discussed starting on pg 54 of the pdf. Might be a picture on pg 58.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
@aguabonita
oldranger
Topix Addict

Post by oldranger »

Venture far

A neat read!

Mike
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
Ikan Mas
Topix Regular

Post by Ikan Mas »

Thanks, Venturefar. I had somehow missed the photo on page G57 when I looked at that guide.
Vaca Russ
Topix Expert

Post by Vaca Russ »

Ikan Mas,

If you read HST enough you will always find the answer to your questions. Apparently the mine was owned by Bad Man From Bodie's wife's Uncle "Smokey". :D

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4707&p=28698&hilit=+tungsten#p28698" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thanks,

-Russ
"...Or have you only comfort, and the lust for comfort, that stealthy thing that enters the house a guest, and then becomes a host and then a master?"

Kahil Gibran.
mzscapes
Topix Newbie

Post by mzscapes »

Hello... I do have an image from 1998 when the ore hopper was still sort-of standing... You can access it at my website >>
http://zscapes.com/mm98sepemigrantpics.html

We were there last year as well and I took many pictures of the remains to catalog for the future... Those pics will be up on my site once I finish a re-design... If you need a copy of the one at the trip page link above, just drop me a note and I will be happy to provide... Cheers...
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Hi Mark,

Cool website. If you get some time, give us an intro please: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=9329
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
mzscapes
Topix Newbie

Post by mzscapes »

Hello~ Better late than never. Here is an update --
2014 trip: http://zscapes.com/page-24/page-84/huckleberry14.html
1998 trip: http://zscapes.com/page-24/page-2/emigrant98.html