TR: Carson Pass, Round Top, Meiss Meadow (June 7, 2015)

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Flamingo
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

TR: Carson Pass, Round Top, Meiss Meadow (June 7, 2015)

Post by Flamingo »

Hi Everyone,

This is hardly a trip report, but I enjoyed a nice day hike from Carson Pass and I wanted to share snow conditions and photographs.

Leaving Carson Pass, I walked north on the PCT and then cross-country along the NW ridge to Little Round Top summit. From the peak, I descended the grassy slopes to Meiss Meadow and followed the creek to Meiss Lake. I enjoyed a swim in the warm and shallow water, and then returned south along the PCT to Carson Pass.

Overall the conditions feel like early July of a "normal" snow year. Beware, the mosquitos were fierce in wet places, such as around Meiss Lake.

Carson Pass Panorama

Despite the low snowpack this year, there remains a non-trivial amount of snow on the north face of Round Top:

Storm clouds were forming along the Sierra crest, but they never matured into a full storm.
Round Top and Beyond, seen from Little Round Top

Shooting Stars at Meiss Lake

Meiss Lake
justm
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Re: TR: Carson Pass, Round Top, Meiss Meadow (June 7, 2015)

Post by justm »

Thanks for the report, your photos are beautiful !!! and it's good to know the mosquitos are out.
gary c.
Topix Fanatic
Experience: N/A

Re: TR: Carson Pass, Round Top, Meiss Meadow (June 7, 2015)

Post by gary c. »

It's great getting to some pictures of such beautiful areas today. Thanks for posting.
"On this proud and beautiful mountain we have lived hours of fraternal, warm and exalting nobility. Here for a few days we have ceased to be slaves and have really been men. It is hard to return to servitude."
-- Lionel Terray