Conditions for Ritter/Banner

Questions and reports related to Sierra Nevada current and forecast conditions, as well as general precautions and safety information. Trail conditions, fire/smoke reports, mosquito reports, weather and snow conditions, stream crossing information, and more.
nikhilm
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

Conditions for Ritter/Banner

Post by nikhilm »

Hello,

I'd like to attempt Ritter and Banner this weekend of Jun 13-14. I'd appreciate pointers about current conditions. The group will be carrying ice axes and crampons, but if the route to Ritter from R/B saddle is snowy/icy in the couloirs, we won't attempt it. Thank you.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Conditions for Ritter/Banner

Post by maverick »

No info on the Southeast Glacier or the Ritter-Banner Saddle routes yet, a link to the most recent report to that area is below. Wilderness Center reports lots of snow/ice, crampons/ice axe suggested. They mention that someone went out this weekend and is due back in on Thursday, give the Wilderness center a call (760-924-5500) on Friday, they should be able to give you an up to date conditions report at that time.
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=12846&p=96336&hilit=minarets#p96304

Nekhil, an intro would be appreciated when you get the time: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=9329
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
nikhilm
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

Re: Conditions for Ritter/Banner

Post by nikhilm »

An update:

Conditions are excellent. Trails clear till ~10000ft up the Ritter/Banner valley as of Sunday June 14. Plenty of talus starting to get exposed on the lower half of the headwall. The snowfield and couloir to access Banner have good snow. Ice axe REQUIRED. Crampons necessary in the early morning, and highly recommended even in the afternoon on descent down the couloir.

Banner's west face has some ice, but with a few class 3 moves it is possible to avoid all of it.

ritter:
DSC03725.JPG
DSC03731.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.