Maverick's 2015 Annual HST Meet-Up 7/22-7/24/15

A forum to initiate member meet-up. Looking for a hiking/climbing/fishing/skiing/etc. partner, or are you planning a trip where you wouldn't mind having some company? Last minute invites can be just as fun as a well-planned group trip (sometimes even better) so don't be shy! And be sure to post a trip report to the appropriate forum when you get back.
Hobbes
Topix Fanatic
Experience: N/A

Re: Maverick's 2015 Annual HST Meet-Up 7/22-7/24/15

Post by Hobbes »

Is anyone planning on going up Shepherd to the meet-up? I'm considering Shepherd to hike to PCT/Wallace crk/Junction meadow in order to reach the Kern and travel south a bit for some prime fishing.

Per usual with east side passes entering the parks, you need to physically pick-up your permit. Even being first at 8am at the IAVC means a 9am start for Shepherd - can be done, but not that much fun.

Last year, Maverick added me to his Shepherd permit, so I was able to start directly from the TH before 6am. Doing the same this year would be greatly appreciated.
Dave_Ayers
Topix Regular

Post by Dave_Ayers »

Can you arrange for a night box pick-up? See the Night Box Pickup section at http://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/inyo/pass ... rdb5144746 . Another poster at Yahoo JMT said they don't allow night box pickup if your trip includes Nat. Park entry. But it might be worth a phone call to check (and report back to us!).

Also note that rec.gov permits can be picked up up to 2 days ahead if that helps. See the section at the bottom of http://www.recreation.gov/marketing.do? ... l&backLink .
iHartMK
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by iHartMK »

Are the dates confirmed?
I would love to join you guys! I would like to tag along with whoever is starting from Mineral King. I live in Visalia, right off of the 198. So I can drive from here if anybody needs a ride up. Or if you're driving in from a further distance, I can drive the rest of the way. I have backpacked all over MK but have never been to the Kaweah Basin. I don't know anyone willing to go there with me. So this would work out perfect.
Living On Kaweah Time
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Yes, the above dates are a go. Looking forward to seeing you there. :)
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Hobbes
Topix Fanatic

Post by Hobbes »

Dave_Ayers wrote:Can you arrange for a night box pick-up? See the Night Box Pickup section at http://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/inyo/pass ... rdb5144746 . Another poster at Yahoo JMT said they don't allow night box pickup if your trip includes Nat. Park entry. But it might be worth a phone call to check (and report back to us!).
The FS allows night box pick-ups if you stay in Inyo; I've done it before for the Cottonwood lakes. But once you cross over the crest into SEKI/Yos, the parks require permits to be physically issued.
Also note that rec.gov permits can be picked up up to 2 days ahead if that helps. See the section at the bottom of http://www.recreation.gov/marketing.do? ... l&backLink .
My MO is to leave OC around 3-4am and hit the trail approx 4 hrs later. Last year I left @ 2am to get a start on Shepherd before 6, but that was only possible because Mav already had a permit with my name included. I don't like arriving up there before the IAVC closes, then getting a partial start on the trail in the late afternoon. I know others prefer this style, which illustrates HYOH perfectly.

These kinds of differences are just part of overall hiker individuality, and what makes putting in the effort to get people together in the middle of nowhere so admirable. Last year, 5 people (+2 for a short visit) made it to Wales (Jim is in both pics because he's so cool + he had the frying pan):

iHartMK
Topix Regular

Post by iHartMK »

maverick wrote:Yes, the above dates are a go. Looking forward to seeing you there. :)

Okay, sounds good! Here is my email in case anybody wants to contact me.
willchart@gmail.com
Living On Kaweah Time
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by Jimr »

Hobbes wrote: (Jim is in both pics because he's so cool + he had the frying pan):
All this time I thought I was in multiple shots because I was a sexy beast :cool: . Turns out they only loved me for my frying pan :crybaby:
If you don't know where you're going, then any path will get you there.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Turns out they only loved me for my frying pan.
No, because your a beast. :lol:

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
oleander
Topix Expert

Who is exiting either Mineral King or Crescent Meadow?

Post by oleander »

Is anyone planning to exit on July 26, via either Mineral King or Crescent Meadow, and drive back to the Bay Area? (Or if not - perhaps as far as the Fresno or Visalia bus station).

The other benefit would be having someone to hike with over either Pyra-Queen Col or Pants Pass, after the meet-up. In fact, I could do that with someone regardless of where they plan to drive afterwards.

I may or may not have a car awaiting me when I exit. So I need a Plan B in case there is indeed no car.

I would promise to be good company :)

- Elizabeth
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

May be entering and exiting via QPC, if I cannot get extra days off, then I plan on exiting on the 26th, on the other hand, if I do get a few extra days, then not till the 29th. Will know more as we get closer to the trip.