Current Conditions for Mt. Langley?

Questions and reports related to Sierra Nevada current and forecast conditions, as well as general precautions and safety information. Trail conditions, fire/smoke reports, mosquito reports, weather and snow conditions, stream crossing information, and more.
BassPaul
Topix Newbie
Experience: N/A

Current Conditions for Mt. Langley?

Post by BassPaul »

Hey All, I'm planning to summit Mt. Langley as a 3-day backpacking trip June 16th-18th via New Army Pass. Anyone aware of the current snow conditions? Wondering if i'll need crampons, ice ace, etc... any advice is greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

-Paul
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Current Conditions for Mt. Langley?

Post by maverick »

Only little info on Langley is in this picture: viewtopic.php?f=34&t=12300&p=96192&hili ... ley#p96192
When you get time, an intro would be great here Paul: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=9329
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Vaca Russ
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Vaca Russ »

BassPaul wrote:Hey All, I'm planning to summit Mt. Langley as a 3-day backpacking trip June 16th-18th via New Army Pass. Anyone aware of the current snow conditions? Wondering if i'll need crampons, ice ace, etc... any advice is greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

-Paul
Paul,

Funny you should ask. I was just up there yesterday.
P6030571.JPG
P6030587.JPG
P6030588.JPG
Please see where I added to this report in the 14ers section.

viewtopic.php?f=32&t=9744

Regarding the snow on New Army Pass, it is almost completely clear.
P6030590.JPG
There was just a little snow at the very top of the pass. I just bypassed most of this snow by climbing about 10 feet of a drift by kicking steps. No ice ax or crampons were needed. It will probably be clear when you get there.

Be sure to post a report!

Thanks,

-Russ
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"...Or have you only comfort, and the lust for comfort, that stealthy thing that enters the house a guest, and then becomes a host and then a master?"

Kahil Gibran.
BassPaul
Topix Newbie
Experience: N/A

Post by BassPaul »

Ok thanks Maverick will do!

Awesome thanks Vaca Russ! Far less snow than I was anticipating. Appreciate the the pics and trip report. Can't wait to get up there...