Creek Crossings on Trail to Fremont Lake, Hoover Wilderness

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Ikan Mas
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Creek Crossings on Trail to Fremont Lake, Hoover Wilderness

Post by Ikan Mas »

Was thinking of making an early season, relatively low elevation overnight hike from Leavitt Meadows to Fremont Lake in the Hoover Wilderness. I'm going solo, so would be concerned if there were any tough river or creek crossings to be made. Has anyone been up this way in the early season and can tell me about crossings? I've been through much of Emigrant and the southern half of Hoover, so I have a feel for the area.

I'm a Level 4 hiker, but will be staying on the trails this trip, because I am solo.

I am comfortable with Class 3 terrain and river crossings, but I like to be on the safe side.

I'm planning on some fishing and if I can't get to Fremont Lake, I'll probably come back down the trail to Poore or one of the other lakes in the area.Not a huge loss if I have to turn back. I will be taking photos of fish and conditions for a TR. No dog.

Thanks for your help.

Ikan Mas
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Creek Crossings on Trail to Fremont Lake, Hoover Wildern

Post by maverick »

Rangers were out yesterday, reporting Walker to be running very high and very swift, extreme caution advised.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Ikan Mas
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Re: Creek Crossings on Trail to Fremont Lake, Hoover Wildern

Post by Ikan Mas »

Thanks, I may temper my trip this weekend. Looks like rain is in the forecast anyway.