Condition/TR Roads End - Lake Reflection 5/29 - 5/31

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
robert h
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

Condition/TR Roads End - Lake Reflection 5/29 - 5/31

Post by robert h »

I've been an avid day hiker for years but fairly new to backpacking. I've gotten so much useful information from HST - thanks for the great community! I just completed a 2 night trip out of Roads End to Lake Reflection.

Fri 5/29 - We left bay area at 4am and got on trail a little before 9:30. Our goal was overnighting at East Lake but that ended up being a little ambitious. We also lost some time crossing Bubbs Creek. The creek at the East Lake trail crossing looked doable but the RE Ranger suggested crossing upstream might be easier. We decided to see if we could cross "feet dry" upstream of East Creek. We were able to cross Bubbs but didn't see a safe way across East Creek. We debated continuing uphill off-trail but were tired so backtracked to the East Lake trail crossing. Previous hikers had strung a thin blue cord across Bubbs and that's where we crossed. Water was about thigh high and the crossing uneventful.

We overnighted at the campsite immediately across Bubbs Creek on the East Lake trail. Mosquitos were out but not bad enough to break out the Deet.

Sat 5/30 - We continued on to Lake Reflection. I had read campsites were on the south shore but we liked what we saw on the north shore better. Crossing at the log jam required some wading which is what my friend did. I circled back and crossed rocks and logs at the outlet.

We found an awesome campsite on the north shore and spent the day enjoying the setting. No mosquitos...we encountered none since a few hundred feet above about 9000'. There was some snow above about 11k but it melted out noticeably while we were there. I have pictures of the Bubbs crossing (it looks the same as the one posted earlier in May) and the mountains above/around Lake Reflection but I need to resize before posting.

Sun 5/31 - We hiked 15 miles out to Roads End which took just under 7.5 hours. The Bubbs Creek crossing Sunday AM seemed slightly higher and swifter than Friday but still uneventful. We met a PCTer (trail name "Forrest" as in Gump) but no other hikers until day hikers near Roads End.

We wanted to return to Roads End via Longley Pass and Sphinx Creek but needed more time and were concerned about snow up high. We're planning to return to try that later this summer - I can't wait!
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Condition/TR Roads End - Lake Reflection 5/29 - 5/31

Post by maverick »

Thank you Robert for the TR. Was LR totally thawed out? Looking forward to the pictures.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
robert h
Topix Novice

Post by robert h »

Yes, LR was completely thawed out. Here are a few pictures from the trip.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ExploreABitMore
Topix Regular

Post by ExploreABitMore »

Beautiful pictures Robert! E Ridge of Brewer is looking good. Looks like we have the same tent :wink:
Sierra Nevada, Mojave Desert, Night Sky Photography: http://www.evanthomasphoto.com/
cslaght
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by cslaght »

I may have been one of those day hikers near Roads End on Sunday with my family! It was quite a beautiful day, and great report. The views of Mt. Brewer are amazing!
"The mountains are calling, but can't find my phone"

Charles
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Thanks for adding those beautiful shots, was expecting a little more snow.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
kpeter
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by kpeter »

Nice photos! I have a picture taken from your tent site somewhere.

We did not camp there though. We did camp on the west side of the outlet stream but were a little ways below the outlet pond. Gorgeous campsites all up and down that side.
crazyexplorer
Topix Novice

Post by crazyexplorer »

great pictures.
robert h
Topix Novice

Post by robert h »

I forgot to mention I saw a porcupine on our way out Sunday. I was hustling down the trail, rounded a corner and startled it about 10' away. It "puffed up" and waddled into some rocks. I've never seen one of those in the Sierra.

Thanks for the comments everyone. I thought conditions were good the morning we left LR but wasn't happy with my pics from the reflection pool. I should have spent a bit more time but we were eager to get on the trail. I carry a Canon S110 which is a fantastic point & shoot for backpacking. Anyway here's the "money shot" that didn't quite turn out.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Briancameronlee
Topix Novice

Post by Briancameronlee »

robert h wrote:I forgot to mention I saw a porcupine on our way out Sunday. I was hustling down the trail, rounded a corner and startled it about 10' away. It "puffed up" and waddled into some rocks. I've never seen one of those in the Sierra.

Thanks for the comments everyone. I thought conditions were good the morning we left LR but wasn't happy with my pics from the reflection pool. I should have spent a bit more time but we were eager to get on the trail. I carry a Canon S110 which is a fantastic point & shoot for backpacking. Anyway here's the "money shot" that didn't quite turn out.
Did your camera take a .jpg or a RAW file maybe? You could reduce the exposure on just the sky pretty easily with a few steps in adobe lightroom.