Bennetville...is it snow free?

Questions and reports related to Sierra Nevada current and forecast conditions, as well as general precautions and safety information. Trail conditions, fire/smoke reports, mosquito reports, weather and snow conditions, stream crossing information, and more.
Tollermom
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Bennetville...is it snow free?

Post by Tollermom »

Curious if anyone has been out recently hiking mid-Tioga area. I've lost track of the openings and closing and re-openings of Tioga Pass due to snow squalls passing through. I'd like to hike to the lakes beyond Bennetville this Sunday on a relatively snow-free trail. A three hour drive from Carson City is a long way to drive only to get turned back for snow. Thanks for any info.
seanr
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Bennetville...is it snow free?

Post by seanr »

The weather forecast looks like it will be cool this weekend (highs around 50) with a pretty good chance (40% Saturday & 30% Sunday) of additional rain/snow showers.
http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.ph ... W1Jtr3n_qA

It sounds like the trail along the west side of Saddlebag Lake is snowy, but the trail on the east side of the lake is clear. Parts of the trails to Bennettville and beyond, like the west side of Saddlebag, are positioned along northeast facing slopes and are at a similar elevation. Also, there are shady forested sections that may be impeding snowmelt. http://www.supertopo.com/climbing/threa ... 33577&tn=0

You might want to try calling Tioga Pass Resort if nobody gives a specific report and you are still interested. I usually don't see other people when I hike there in summer, but I may just have good timing. Waiting a week longer might be a good idea if avoiding snow and stormy weather is a must.
Tollermom
Topix Acquainted

Post by Tollermom »

thanks so much for the details and thoughts. I'll stay tuned. Maybe I am a bit early...perhaps I rethink my plan to the Little Walker River area canyons or Barker Pass in Tahoe....all I can say is I am jones-ing to hike!
larry1
Topix Acquainted

Post by larry1 »