Uncoventional Campfire Breakfast

Have a favorite trail recipe or technique you'd like to share? Please do! We also like reviews of various trail food products out there. The Backcountry Food Topix forum is the place to discuss all things related to food and nourishment while in the Sierra wilderness (as well as favorite trail head eateries).
Stevendanger75
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Uncoventional Campfire Breakfast

Post by Stevendanger75 »

Hi all,

Counting down the days until I come home from school back to CA for a few months, have a 7-day Deadman Canyon loop for the week I return! For the layover day in the canyon, I was thinking I could do some sort of unconventional breakfast on the campfire involving baked goods/pancakes.

I plan on catching and cooking a few brook trout while on the trip, and I may have a small frying pan or I might just use aluminum foil over the fire.

If I don't have a pan, I was thinking I could 'bake' pancake mix or some tubed biscuits in the foil over the fire. Here are a few ideas I was tossing around:

-Parchment cupcake liners filled with just-add-water muffin/cornbread mix, then wrapped in foil and thrown in the coals
-Tube rolls wrapped around a green stick, roasted over the flames
-lightweight foil pie plate lined with parchment paper, filled with a thin layer of pancake batter, then tented with foil and placed on some green sticks over the coals
-mini foil loaf tins filled with pillsbury instant french bread, tented with foil, and baked over the coals

Has anyone done anything like this before?

Thanks!

-Bryan
gary c.
Topix Fanatic

Re: Uncoventional Campfire Breakfast

Post by gary c. »

Never tried any of the things you are asking about. Seems to me that the pancake mix will just turn into a burned mess but I could be wrong. If you are really wanting to cook something along that line why not just try making some Bannock bread. I've not made that myself but I have ate some and thought it was pretty good. Always thought I'd give it try some day with a little cheese added to it.
"On this proud and beautiful mountain we have lived hours of fraternal, warm and exalting nobility. Here for a few days we have ceased to be slaves and have really been men. It is hard to return to servitude."
-- Lionel Terray
Stevendanger75
Topix Acquainted

Post by Stevendanger75 »

I've made bannock many times, it always turns out great but I'm kinda looking for something a little lighter in texture, like a muffin or cornbread. Bannock is usually pretty dense, light a breadstick, at least the way i've made it!
alpinemike
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by alpinemike »

I've actually made pancakes in a pot before on a stove and they came out just fine. It was quite delicious actually. I think you might have even better luck doing it over a campfire since you can spread the batter out better and the heat won't be as concentrated like on a backpacking stove with a tiny pot.

Best of luck!
Never put off a backpacking trip for tomorrow, if you can do it today...
Alpine Mike-

http://mikhailkorotkinphotography.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;