TR: Alta Peak, Silliman Pass, and Mist Falls (5/28-5/31)

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Shawn
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Possible Extreme Dayhikes from Roads End / Mineral King

Post by Shawn »

Well looks like you and your friend had a great outing with some fine views. Congrats and thanks for the follow-up.

No doubt you feel a little bummed about Silliman, but you still got up there and enjoyed the views from areas few travel. I'm supposing you were in the trees below the slabs and thus didn't see them on your way by. Looking forward to your pics.

For reference here are a couple of old pics.

base of slabs.jpg
I'm guessing you were just inside of the treeline below
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
limpingcrab
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by limpingcrab »

Cool! Any pics of the North Face of Mount Silliman?
franklin411
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by franklin411 »

Thanks for the pics Shawn! Yep, we were both happy with the hike in general, but we both wanted to make the summit of course. My friend actually said that the slabs in your photo might be where we started scrambling, but I said it couldn't be because the water flow coming down those slabs was a trickle, and there was a strong creek to the north that had to be Silliman Creek. Oh well. Here are some pics of interest:

Great Western Divide from Alta Peak:
pic 1.jpg
Mt. Brewer from Alta Peak, which convinced us to change plans:
pic 2.jpg
Is this correct? Mt Silliman from Alta Peak.
Mt Silliman from Alta Peak.jpg
We got to the right place for the scramble to Silliman Lake, but I led us astray:
pic 3.jpg
We scrambled up boulders and slabs on the south side of a strong-running creek to this shallow lake, which we assumed was Silliman Lake.
pic 4.jpg
We scrambled upstream some more, and found Little Lake, which we assumed was the upper Silliman Lake.
pic 5.jpg
We realized that Silliman wasn't going to happen, so we kept going N to this point. Then we headed SE up a ridgeline at the base of Silliman's NW face for a better view.
pic 6.jpg
We headed up the ridgeline to get a look at the Great Western Divide, and had lunch.
pic 7.jpg
Last look at Silliman's NW face and the snow-covered gully above Little Lake.
pic 8.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.