Ridge/Lewis Lakes, Emigrant GPS help

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Briancameronlee
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

Ridge/Lewis Lakes, Emigrant GPS help

Post by Briancameronlee »

First Off... this is my first post so... Hello! \:D/

My buddies and I are taking off on Thursday for a long weekend to do some fishing/exploring in the Granite Dome area which includes Ridge, Sardella, and Lewis lakes.

I am attempting to find GPS tracks for an approach via the main pack trail coming from Relief Reservoir. Everything I've found on the forums states crossing the granite slabs etc once crossing Summit Creek. We will be reaching the granite slab area around 5-6 PM so I wanted to get a good idea of the route prior to my arrival.

I've googled etc to find GPS tracks but have come up empty. Does anyone have them to share, or know where I can locate them? Any assistance is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Ridge/Lewis Lakes, Emigrant GPS help

Post by maverick »

Hi Brian,

Welcome to HST! Please read: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4205
Also when you get the time an intro would be great here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=9329
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
SSSdave
Topix Addict

Post by SSSdave »

A person navigating off trail in the Sierra should be using USGS topographic maps plus visual enroute adjustments to figure out routes. Topos can readily guide skilled persons to any of the of Granite Dome lakes.
Briancameronlee
Topix Novice

maverick wrote:Hi Brian,

Welcome to HST! Please read: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4205
Also when you get the time an intro would be great here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=9329
Thanks Maverick, will do on the intro part. Also, thanks for the heads up on the info post, I was in a rush during break so I neglected to read the stickies [-X

We are all experienced backpackers with moderate off trail experience, (30 years old and in good physical condition).

Thanks again for any input.

Brian
Briancameronlee
Topix Novice

SSSdave wrote:A person navigating off trail in the Sierra should be using USGS topographic maps plus visual enroute adjustments to figure out routes. Topos can readily guide skilled persons to any of the of Granite Dome lakes.

Hi SSSdave,

I am seeking the GPS tracks as a supplement to the Topos as we may be doing the cross country portion late in the evening. We are planning for 5-6pm... but that may get pushed back as I have two in the group begging to watch the Warrior's game in Pinecrest prior to setting out. Also waiting to see if the road to Relief Res. will be open this weekend to shorten the hike... :paranoid:

Keeping that in mind, the visual queues may become difficult to decipher at 11PM as opposed to 8AM, or it could be an easy stroll thanks to an almost full moon this weekend. Thanks again,

Brian
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

Brian,

See if this TR helps, scroll down to the "Granite Balconies" titled TR. https://pantilat.wordpress.com/2014/09/
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
ksenn
Topix Novice

Post by ksenn »

I did a similar trip a few years ago. We also got to Kennedy Meadows rather late, and decided to camp a little ways past the pack station where no one would see or bother us. Here's a Caltopo map of roughly the route I took http://caltopo.com/m/7U33. If you aren't familiar with Caltopo you can create your own route by clicking on "Add New Object" in the left hand side, then "Add Line". You can also export GPX files from maps you create. Just click "Export" at the top and it will give you some options. You may have to play around with it a little bit.

I remember a little bit of tricky mico-route finding to easily get across Summit creek, but it was also my first cross-country trip and I was probably just bad at route finding. I was mainly watching for the confluence of Summit Creek and the outlet stream of the smallest Lewis Lake.
balzaccom
Topix Addict

Post by balzaccom »

We did this hike a few years ago. Bear in mind that you will NOT be able to park your car at Kennedy Meadows itself. There is a separate trailhead parking area about 1/2 away that is where you need to park. No chance that you will be allowed to drive up any part of the road past the pack station.

We crossed Summit Creek right after the trail passes the steep gorge--in fact, the first place you could really cross the creek there and expect to go up the slabs. There's a decent campsite just the other side of the creek, if you're interested. And from there we worked up the slabs to the saddle heading Southwest. That puts you over a pass and there's a ducked trail to Ridge Lake from there. Not that we did not like any of the campsites at Ridge Lake--they were WAY too close to the water to be legal. But Iceland had some nice spots on the western shore...as did the small lake between Iceland and Ridge Lakes.

Nice area.
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963
MountainMinstrel
Topix Expert

Post by MountainMinstrel »

I did the same trip balzaccom mentioned a couple of years ago. Like you I thought it would be fairly easy to get to Iceland in one day. Trust me on this. it is not! Plan on staying at the very nice campsite just across Summit Creek. Then head up the slabs early in the morning with fresh legs.

BTW the best alpineglow I have ever witnessed was at Iceland while camping on the west side of the Lake.
Just an old musician who loves the Mountains.
Briancameronlee
Topix Novice

ksenn wrote:I did a similar trip a few years ago. We also got to Kennedy Meadows rather late, and decided to camp a little ways past the pack station where no one would see or bother us. Here's a Caltopo map of roughly the route I took http://caltopo.com/m/7U33. If you aren't familiar with Caltopo you can create your own route by clicking on "Add New Object" in the left hand side, then "Add Line". You can also export GPX files from maps you create. Just click "Export" at the top and it will give you some options. You may have to play around with it a little bit.

I remember a little bit of tricky mico-route finding to easily get across Summit creek, but it was also my first cross-country trip and I was probably just bad at route finding. I was mainly watching for the confluence of Summit Creek and the outlet stream of the smallest Lewis Lake.

Excellent info! Appreciate the help.