June 11 Trip

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
kpeter
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

June 11 Trip

Post by kpeter »

I find myself a little late in getting my June trip in, and I am worried about blossoming mosquito populations in my usual early season destinations in Emigrant or NW Yosemite. I often try to get in right at snow line before the bugs get bad--in a normal year the first week of June is usually safe. But this year I am a week late and the snow melt is a month or more early, and I could wind up in the thick of insect season. The latest reports from Emigrant show a change for the worse is coming.

And so I wonder if I would be better off doing something at higher elevation. I liked Emigrant because it did not demand reservations and was only a four hour drive from me here in the Bay Area. I still might brave it. However, are there alternatives I should consider that might be higher and less mosquito driven in mid June? How about the Little Lakes Valley? How would Mono Pass be in June?
RoguePhotonic
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: June 11 Trip

Post by RoguePhotonic »

It's really hard to say. I'm heading to Hungry Packer Lake next weekend out of Sabrina and I'm just going to plan on being swarmed by mosquitoes even though it's an 11,000 foot camp. Another week after that and I'm sure it will be worse.
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

I keep taking DEET and not using it. There are plenty of mosquitoes, but they haven't bitten us....
ExploreABitMore
Topix Regular

Post by ExploreABitMore »

Glad I read this, I would have forgot the DEET, but am going to get it out for this coming weekend just in case. Looks like some more unsettled weather on the forecast for this weekend too. Guess some breeze and afternoon weather could give temporary relief from skeeters if they're out and about (trying to give a positive slant on this weather, which always seems to line up for the weekend ... )
Sierra Nevada, Mojave Desert, Night Sky Photography: http://www.evanthomasphoto.com/
balzaccom
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Post by balzaccom »

When we hike at this time of year, we remember a couple of different trips where we could climb up to a higher elevation and find campsites that were still too cold for skeeters. Keep that in mind. IF the mosquitoes are bad where you are, you can always move. Uphill generally gets colder...and consequently fewer mosquitoes for a while. Out on a breezy ridge will blow some of them away....
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963
kpeter
Topix Fanatic

Post by kpeter »

I've decided to shift from Emigrant to Little Lakes Valley on the theory that I can get up near snowline and get above the mosquito bloom, whatever elevation it may be at.

I've never backpacked in Little Lakes Valley before--I day hiked with small kids to the first couple of lakes once. Any advice? I'm not sure how far I will get before hitting snow. I wonder if I will be able to reach Gem Lakes, or the North side of Morgan Pass.
BrianF
Topix Regular

Post by BrianF »

Here is a report about Little lakes from Deb at Summit Post for 5/28:
"just ran over Morgan Pass today, trail is clear of snow up to Gem Lakes turn-off. Spotted tongues of snow quarter mile each direction off Morgan Pass, then clear. Which peaks are you interested in? There's still plenty of snow over 12K'. At least Hourglass Couloir is filled in".
The direction you are moving in is what matters, not the place you happen to be -Colin Fletcher
kpeter
Topix Fanatic

Post by kpeter »

Is there a particular route to get to Treasure Lakes out of the Little Lakes Valley? Climb the ridge east of Gem Lakes or follow the outlet stream?
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Use the "search" feature KP, numerous reports available, like this one:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=10776&p=81615&hilit ... kes#p81615 :)
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
kpeter
Topix Fanatic

Post by kpeter »

Thanks mav, that is quite helpful. I did search but kept coming across the topics for the Treasure Lakes by South Lake. This link is spot-on.