[Hiking Partner] SHR + SoSHR

A forum to initiate member meet-up. Looking for a hiking/climbing/fishing/skiing/etc. partner, or are you planning a trip where you wouldn't mind having some company? Last minute invites can be just as fun as a well-planned group trip (sometimes even better) so don't be shy! And be sure to post a trip report to the appropriate forum when you get back.
JohnRambo
Topix Newbie
Experience: N/A

[Hiking Partner] SHR + SoSHR

Post by JohnRambo »

Hey Guys and Gals!

I moved to the area over a year ago, but haven't really find the type of hiking partner that would go on a hike like this (I live in Bay Area), so I thought I might find a person that has a similar problem on this forum :) I'm not sure if I want to do the whole 270 miles, the length of the route is still an open question for me, I just know I would prefer to not go alone. I would probably be also happy just with the SoSHR (this is kind of my bail out plan if I would have to go alone), I just really want to go there. From my initial reconnaissance I'm pretty sure there are still available entry dates, but that requires flexibility.

I have basic orientation skills, I have hiked off trail before. I like to have a light pack, but I tend on the more comfortable side - sleep is just very important for me. I usually hike entire day (dusk -> down) with very little breaks, but I could adjust as long as we would be putting reasonable mileage.
Some bigger trips that I've done recently were the Corsica GR20 (~180km in 9-10 days) and European Alps trip (~500km in 2 weeks) - GR5 + Haute Route + Tour de Mont Blanc + some more GR5 -> was planning on finishing it (GR5) but my ankle didn't agree with me.

If any of this sounds reasonable, please reach out :)

-- Janusz
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: [Hiking Partner] SHR + SoSHR

Post by maverick »

Hi Janusz,

Powitanie to HST! Good luck on your quest in finding a partner. If you have time please write up an intro here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=9329 We also enjoy TR's from places beyond the Sierra in the "Beyond the Sierra Nevada" section at the bottom of the main page, Corsica and the Alps would be a great start. :)
You did not indicate when you wanted to start this hike, or are you flexible with the dates?
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
martinb
Topix Newbie

Post by martinb »

Might be interested.
PM me.

Im not available till about Aug 7.
Was planning on Colorado trail , but SHR sounds more fun
Did JMT last summer.
cmon4day
Topix Regular

Post by cmon4day »

I'm out. I like to "stop and smell the roses". Mega marches is not my style. 10 to 15 mi. max is my speed. Good luck and enjoy the SHR.