Eastern Sierra 3+ night trip suggestions for August?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
lauralai627
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Eastern Sierra 3+ night trip suggestions for August?

Post by lauralai627 »

My boyfriend and I are getting married in Mammoth Lakes this summer and we're hoping to go on a 3+ night backpacking trip together after the wedding. (We have 3-5 nights already blocked off, and could potentially go for longer if it's a can't miss trip!) I'm looking for some trail suggestions, entering and exiting on the eastern side. Since we're from the Bay Area and will already be down in Mammoth, we were thinking about heading South towards Kings/Inyo/Sequoia but are pretty open. Ideally, we could find a loop or lollipop that gets us into the high country with some opportunities to fish.

A bit more about us and our packing experience:
We've both gone on several backpacking trips are are comfortable on Class 3 terrain, with river crossings and some snow travel. I like to stick to trail but we have gone off trail on occasion. Generally, we like to keep it to 8-10 miles a day. A one night layover might be nice too!

We've done the Mineral King loop and spent some time up near Thousand Island Lake. I've done Rae Lakes and the North to South Lake but my boyfriend hasn't--we're considering doing North to South again since we're looking for something equally as spectacular.

Any suggestions or advice would be appreciated!

Thanks!
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Eastern Sierra 3+ night trip suggestions for August?

Post by maverick »

Hi Laura,

Northern Yosemite Loop (46 miles), 4 nights (5 would be even better). In at Crown Lake, out at Peeler Lake. Beautiful Sawtooth Ridge, great views west at sunset from lake near Finger Peaks, sublime view from the top of Burro Pass down Matterhorn Canyon, great views from Benson Pass, beautiful honeymoon Smedberg Lake, Benson Lakes Rivera like beach, beautiful flower gardens and lovely lakes scattered around Seavey Pass, and beautiful Peeler Lake at the end the trip. You will also have solitude on this loop, which makes it nice for a honeymoon kind of trip. :)

PS. Oh, congratulations!!!
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
balzaccom
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Post by balzaccom »

The Twin Lakes Loop is a great hike--but it might be a bit long for your honeymoon. Another option might be over Virginia Lakes Pass into Virginia Canyon---really beautiful, and pretty darn isolated. We found quite a few scout groups hiking the Twin Lakes trail for their fifty mile merit badge. We saw only one group in three days in Virginia Canyon.

And from even closer to Mammoth, you could just hike up Rush Creek to the JMT, south to Garnet Lake, and then back out through CLark Lakes.

We have trip reports on all three of these hikes on our website under destinations...
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963
tim
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Post by tim »

Or simply Duck Pass to Iva Bell Hot Springs and out at Reds Meadow. Not really high or remote, but a very pleasant ~30 mile four day loop and the hot springs are great (our trip report from 2010: http://highsierratopix.com/community/vi ... f=1&t=5344).
lauralai627
Topix Acquainted

Post by lauralai627 »

Thanks everyone for the trip advice! The Northern Yosemite Loop sounds right up our alley! We've already done quite a bit in Ansel Adams and were actually just on the Rush Creek trail a few days ago whereas we haven't done anything around the Sawtooths yet.
seanr
Topix Regular

Post by seanr »

This is probably for future reference as it is a bit steep and rugged, but since you describe yourself as able to handle it, Horse Creek Canyon/Pass and Spiller Creek Canyon lie between Matterhorn Canyon and Virginia Pass/Canyon mentioned by Maverick and Balzaccom. Easy class 2 provides great views and some scenic campsites. If you like hot springs after a trip, look up Buckeye. Mono Village at the start of the Northern Yosemite loop quiets down some after July.
lauralai627
Topix Acquainted

Post by lauralai627 »

Just wanted to circle back to thank everyone again for the great trip advice. HST never steers me wrong! We went for the Northern Yosemite Loop out of Twin Lakes and had a fantastic time. Gorgeous peaks, lakes, and tons of fish! Thanks again!
P1060631.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Hi Laura,

Will we be seeing a Honeymoon TR of this trip posted, hope so? :nod:
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
lauralai627
Topix Acquainted

Post by lauralai627 »

Absolutely - stay tuned for the trip report! For now, here's a shot from our post-wedding hike to Little Lakes Valley
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
lauralai627
Topix Acquainted

Post by lauralai627 »

As promised, Trip Report here - viewtopic.php?f=1&t=13445

Thanks again!!!