Snowy Vistas

Topics covering photography and videography of the flora, fauna and landscape of the Sierra Nevada mountains. Show off your talent. Post your photos and videos here!
mountainLight
Founding Member
Experience: N/A

Snowy Vistas

Post by mountainLight »

Its funny that mountaineer would post pictures of the buttermilks as I was just about to post a question about good places for snowy vista's in the eastern sierra right now. I have caught the snow in Yosemite http://www.lightontheedges.com/gallery/ ... yview.html, which is closer to my side of the Sierra but now I am looking for something on the Eastern side.

I have some time to head out there this weekend and was looking for some good ideas of places with views of the snowy eastern sierra. I figure with the latest batch of snow they should still be white a bit lower this weekend. Because I will be driving from the bay area and have to go the long way around I would appreciate any ideas you might have for locations I should check out. I would probably have two sunrises and two sunsets and would like to take full advantage of them. Can do offroad.

Thanks in Advance
mountaineer
Founding Member

Post by mountaineer »

I can't believe I just saw this thread tonight for the first time. I know this is late but on the east side one of the best snowy vistas that you can get to by vehicle is Convict Lake. Here is a moonlight image of Convict Lake and Laurel Mtn. taken about a year and a half ago:

By the way...great snowy photos in your link above! This one is one of the best ones I've seen of Half Dome.
Trekker
Topix Regular

Post by Trekker »

Mountaineer;

That picture of Convict Lake can't be real! Wow! =D>
mountaineer
Founding Member

Post by mountaineer »

Trekker wrote:Mountaineer;

That picture of Convict Lake can't be real! Wow! =D>
Actually, it is. It was about 10PM and a 7/8 moon with slight cloud cover. About a 90 second exposure. Funny thing was I didn't have a cable release with me to hold the shutter release down on B setting so I set a rock on it and after 90 seconds took the rock off.
mountainLight
Founding Member

Post by mountainLight »

Mountaineer,
Thanks for responding. Better late than never :). I tried all kinds of places. Struck out on most of them. I love your shot of Convict. I almost headed up there but it was late afternoon and I had my mind set on other locations. I will post some of it if i get it processed tonight, along with the trip report.

Again I LOVE the shot of Convict and I still need to get out to the store to get that magazine.