Lurkers Please Introduce Yourself =)

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Lurkers Please Introduce Yourself

Post by maverick »

Thank you for the intro! Looking forward to reading some of your TR's in the future. :)
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Lisalu22
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

HI! My name is Lisa

Post by Lisalu22 »

Hi! My name is Lisa, and I am a beginner backpacker.
I've day hiked with my family since I can remember, I hiked the entire Highcountry pathway in Michigan one summer with them, but only in day hikes. As well as day hikes on the Appalachian trail and other places all over the country. When I got married, my husband and I decided to get into backpacking. He has been on some trips with very experienced packers, and I have only been on a few short trips. We recently relocated to Mexico. So our options for safe backpacking nearby are limited. We are planning to hike the Rae lakes look early this summer, it will be a new experience for me to hike at that elevation.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Thanks Lisa for taking the time to write up an intro! :thumbsup:
We enjoy reading TR's from area outside the Sierra too, in the "Beyond the Sierra Nevada" section at the bottom of the page. ;)

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
juliabrooke
Topix Novice

Post by juliabrooke »

Hello,
I'm 25 years old and new to the world of backpacking. Grew up in Southern California with a love of the outdoors and a hunting/fishing type of family. A few years ago I stumbled on my dad's old backpacking photos from the Sierra's and elsewhere and questioned why he had never introduced me to the hobby? I insisted that he take me out day hiking in our local San Bernardino moutains and I was hooked. That same summer I begged for a trip to the Sierra's. We trailer camped day hiked over a few days and I was REALLY hooked. Since then I've done lots of local hiking in and around OC, LA and the IE, been back to the Sierra's as well with my bf in tow, but always wanted to give backpacking a try. I finally convinced my dad that he is not to old to sleep in a tent and that he at least owes me one trip, after that I'll have to hunt down my own friends to go with me. (Why is it so hard for me to hunt down 20-something women who enjoy this type of thing?) So anyway, my dad and I have a trip planned for August of this year to explore the Pioneer Basin, 4th Recess area, plus my bf and I have a couple San Gorgonio Wilderness weekend permits that we are excited to use.

-Julia
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Thank you Julian for taking the time to write up an intro! :thumbsup: You'll love Pioneer Basin, good fishing, outstanding views, and make sure to visit the more secluded lakes to the east of the basin.

filmoreslim
Topix Newbie

Post by filmoreslim »

My name is Chris, I live in San Francisco. I gave up backpacking about 18 years ago because I sleep on my side half the time and then the only light weight mattress pads were the one inch cascade designs pads. I enjoy hiking as well. At 42 now I'm in some of the best shape of my life and looking to expand my horizons.

I am an avid snow boarder and have been gaining experience splitboarding for the last 8 years in Europe, Dana Pass area, and the Carson Range. For me, Europe is the best because you can wake up at 7 AM in a bed and be on a glacier at 9 AM. I have spent the last 8 seasons with at least one week with Neil McNab of McNab Snowboarding in Chamonix...I've also used other guides but none as good as Neil for finding good snow within a 2 hour drive of Cham.

I was recently talked into backpacking by a friend because the mattress pad technology is now reasonably comfortable - also inspired by the movie Wild. Did my first backpacking trip this last weekend (1st in 18 years) from Mammoth to Tuolumne Meadows on the JMT. It was fun because my mountaineering skills really paid off in the unsettled weather over Memorial Day weekend - we had rain, small hail and snow every day/night. Getting over Donahue Pass in the snow was a piece of cake and my buddies were terrified. Boot packing with crampons straight uphill in loose powder when it is too steep to skin for 3-4 hours with a snowboard on your back gives you a new perspective on heavy and steep.

I look forward to interacting on this site, I will be taking 3 or 4 trips to the sierras this summer to backpack and maybe fly fish a little before the water dries up. Let's hope this El Nino thing works out to be for real this year.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

HI Chris,

Welcome to HST! Thank you for the intro. A TR/conditions report of your Mammoth to TM from this past weekend would be extremely useful to your fellow HST members, who may be planing to head out into that area in the next couple of weeks. Also any TR's you would like to write up on your experiences outside the Sierra, in the "Beyond the Sierra Nevada" section at the bottom of the index page, would be highly appreciated. :nod:

CameraMarty
Topix Novice

Post by CameraMarty »

Greetings. New member in Sacramento, CA. I found the site via Google search and am already impressed.

I'm a photographer; Moving pictures for PBS, still photos for me.

Starting hiking the AT in Virginia in the late 80's, hiked much of the AT when I lived in Maryland. Moved around the country and have backpacked in twenty national parks or so, living in NV, WA, ID, and CA. I'm very experienced in the "rocks and sticks" as I like to say, but don't talk too much about it. Different regions bring different challenges.

I've lived on both sides of Tahoe and know the Sierra well, carrying cameras with me up the trail. Hiking from Ebbetts to Tuolomne Meadows in August, with a few smaller hikes in Desolation before. I tend to go up Rockbound Pass from Wright's Lake quite a bit.

Glad to be here.
vplane
Topix Newbie

Hi, I'm VPLANE.

Post by vplane »

Thanks for this very helpful messageboard. I've used it a few times to help plan my backpacking trips. I'm a moderately experienced backpacker. Longest trip was a 4-day loop in Yosemite. Love the Sierra and feel no overwhelming urge to explore anywhere else. Avid photographer, nature observer (particularly birdwatching) and skier. Have recently taken up spin fishing.

Wishing you all good travels, see you out there.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Hi Marty,

Thanks for taking the time to write an intro! Do you have a website we can see to peep at your photo's?