Optimal Tent for an old guy or old guy + old gal

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
oldranger
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Re: Optimal Tent for an old guy or old guy + old gal

Post by oldranger »

Thanks freestone and whrdafamI for reminding me of this manufacturer. I have been at the site several times in the past but focused on the two and 3 person tents, which I use less than 3 weeks per year and much of that car camping. Weight and being able to get out of the damn tent has become my focus as I approach "old age" which of course has to be sometime after 70, I hope.

Mike
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
John Harper
Topix Expert

Post by John Harper »

I've used a cheap (under $30) hiker 1 tent from Sports Authority for several years now. It's a bit cramped, but has held up extremely well and only weighs 3 pounds. I'''ve also got the larger hiker 2 tent too, which is going on 8 years now as a car camp tent with no issues at all. That one only cost $21.

Just can't see the multi-hundred dollar expense for meager weight savings.

Oldranger; I'm looking at the Thermarest Xlite versus the Exped versus the BA IAC at REI. Have any pros or cons???

John
oldranger
Topix Addict

Post by oldranger »

John

The problem the ultralite expeds is that they tend to develop what I call "micro" leaks. Sometime in their use cycle they will start leaking extremely slowly. Usually I don't touch the ground by the end of the night but it bothers me because I like a super firm mattress and the closer to the ground the cooler the pad. On the other hand when functioning perfectly the 7 thickness is for me more comfortable than our temperpedic at home. If you are willing to tote the extra weight my wife and I both have the heaviest covered down mat 9lw and 7 Lw that we use for car camping and they have never had the problem of micro leaks. By the way the micro leaks are extremely difficult to find because they have to be under additional pressure with soapy water right over the spot at the right time to find. I have never found one in the field and only one of several at home. the rest were sent to Exped. on two separate occasions they have returned brand new pads to me. What works for you is totally dependent on your preferences. I need wide because I toss and turn a lot and find that these types of pads are too unstable unless they are really wide at the shoulders. No sure how the coffin shaped new pad will work out in the real world but it seemed stable on the floor of REI and if it doesn't work I'll just return it and go back to my Synmat 7 lw ul or my new Downmat 7ul lw that exped sent me to replace my old one that developed a defective valve. I haven't used any of the other brands since my first 20" wide big agnes insulated air core and my Stephenson which was way too thick and unstable.

Mike
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
whrdafamI?
Topix Regular

Post by whrdafamI? »

John Harper wrote:I've used a cheap (under $30) hiker 1 tent from Sports Authority for several years now. It's a bit cramped, but has held up extremely well and only weighs 3 pounds. I'''ve also got the larger hiker 2 tent too, which is going on 8 years now as a car camp tent with no issues at all. That one only cost $21.

Just can't see the multi-hundred dollar expense for meager weight savings.

Oldranger; I'm looking at the Thermarest Xlite versus the Exped versus the BA IAC at REI. Have any pros or cons???

John

I used to think the same way. However as I get older carrying heavy stuff has for some reason lost it's appeal. What may seem meager to you adds up fast from my point of view.
Better to have it and not need it than it is to need it and not have it!

Get busy living or get busy dying.
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by rlown »

+1
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

I have never seen a cheap $30 tent that could withstand real above-timber mountain storms, particularly if the storms continue for days. All depends on the conditions that you are in. Below timber in sheltered spots, maybe OK. I have bought tents on "close outs" at less than half price, for about $100 but the quality of the tent is reflected in the retail value.

I am somewhat in agreement with not spending $$$ to save weight, if the savings is not significant. Of course, each person has a different definition of "significant". I currently carry a 2 pound 5 oz solo tent, all strings and stakes included. (After mosquitoes I use a 1 pound 8 oz bivy sack if the weather report is for fair conditions.) I could get a similar tent for half pound less, but until this one wears out, I save weight other ways. There are ways to reduce your pack weight a similar amount without spending a penny - a little less food, carry a little less water, water treatment tabs instead of a filter, delete the camp shoes, shave one ounce off all your stuff - it adds up! I am continually experimenting with leaving gear home. Lately I have ditched the rain pants for the Sierra trips and learning to live without camp shoes. If I have to wade, I simply deal with wet shoes.

Although if I had a rich uncle I would splurge on all the new fancy stuff! :D And when you get older, reducing pack weight is not even a choice - but a must if you want to keep backpacking.
John Harper
Topix Expert

Post by John Harper »

Wandering Daisy wrote: I currently carry a 2 pound 5 oz solo tent, all strings and stakes included. (After mosquitoes I use a 1 pound 8 oz bivy sack if the weather report is for fair conditions.) I could get a similar tent for half pound less, but until this one wears out, I save weight other ways.
Which tents are you using?

John
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

I have had a love-hate relationship with all the shelters I have ever used. My current solo tent is the first edition of the TarpTent Moment. It is very good, especially in high winds. Main problems are condensation and the large space it takes to set up (90-inches long)- a problem in a lot of areas I go. Since I bought mine, it was revised to have two doors to solve the air flow problems. And it also comes in a double wall version (more weight, of course). Under ideal conditions it can be set up with 2 stakes, but most often I use 6 and backup the ends with extra ties onto rocks. Previously I had a MSR Micro-Zoid ($100 from Sport Chalet). 2 pounds 9 oz. It was a good weather-tight little double wall tent but so small that a normal sized person would have difficulty (hence on sale). I could not even sit up in it. It eventually wore out.

My husband and I also have three Mountain Hardware tents - 3-man Skyledge (when we take the dog), and the winter/mountaineering version of the 2-man Spire (the winter version of the Skyledge- fabric, not mesh inner tent), and an earlier 2-man model (cannot remember the name). All work well but are heavy 5-6 pounds. We are both hard on tents, so need something sturdy. And often camp above timber at high altitudes, thus mountaineering tents are more suitable.

Old Ranger - why do you not want to touch the inner tent walls? Our 2-man Spire has nearly vertical side walls and two large vestibules- when you touch the side wall you are well away from the fly so do not get wet. Its 48" width amazingly works quite well. The "not touch the wall" thing is applicable to single wall tents, where you do get damp when there is condensation. The only reason we went to a 3-man Skyledge was that our dog is a spoiled princess and insists on sleeping between us, not at the foot like a normal dog would.
oldranger
Topix Addict

Post by oldranger »

Daisy

No problem with touching the mesh. But some tent designs have the mesh touching the fly counteracting the benefits of the double wall. I also want to make sure that the fly is separated enough that is extremely unlikely that I will inadvertently press against the wet surface when conditions are such that condensation will occur, even in a double wall tent.

Mike
Mike

John Harper
Topix Expert

Post by John Harper »

Daisy,

What bivy sack do you recommend? I bought/used one last year and it worked for me, although I'm not particular. The REI Minimalist. Must be something more refined that keeps the mesh off your face? Very practical for summer IMO.

John