Cook Kit Options

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
gabe&mel
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Re: Cook Kit Options

Post by gabe&mel »

oldranger wrote:As I recall, but I could be mistaken, if you use the canister inverted thru its entire capacity the stove will consume fuel faster. But it sure burns better inverted when cold or when the fuel is nearly gone, so when nearly empty inverting can extend the useful life of the canister.

Mike
Mike, based on my eyeball test I found this to be true. I first had upright canister on a low simmer then I proceeded to invert the canister and noticed a big upswing in the stove output at same setting. I also found that the lowest heat/flame output (ie simmer mode) with inverted canister is greater/hotter than the upright canister mode. Now in terms of how great a difference in cooking time idk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
longri
Topix Fanatic
Experience: N/A

Post by longri »

Jimr wrote:Eric, I don't know the actual weight, but it has to be less than 2 pocket rockets.
Well that doesn't sound like my stove.
A Pocket Rocket weighs 85g. My stove (below) weighs 351g.

It looks a lot like it though. Here's the ebay stove:

By the way, the reason my stove is so rusty is that I've poured water over it multiple times to cool it down so I could put it away faster. That big metal plate under the burner has quite a lot of thermal mass. It's a great stove when weight isn't an issue.

I now have a 25g canister stove that is just so fun to use. It's small and not terribly durable but three of them weighs less than a Pocket Rocket.
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Jimr »

Yes, the stove I have is about 1.5 pocket rockets in weight.
If you don't know where you're going, then any path will get you there.