Yosemite High Sierra Loop

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
markskor
Founding Member - RIP
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Yosemite High Sierra Loop

Post by markskor »

Once again, (hard as this is to say), listen to the OldRanger. Your intended route, while OK Yosemite scenic, travels mostly through dense canyon forests - not much big granite. Additionally, while the Glen Aulin area is OK, (the 3 waterfalls being the main highlight), there are much better places to see in YNP - and (IMHO), no real reason ever to go to May Lake (as a crowded zoo) unless doing Hoffman.

South side 120 a different story - big walls, grand vistas, possible good fishing - this route is what you think of when envisioning Yosemite's grandeur.

Better might be/ instead try for: Tuolumne - Rafferty - Voglesang HSC - and 2 options here: 1) make a loop - Ireland - Lyell - back to Tuolumne...or 2) Merced HSC and down to Valley...second option almost all downhill, then using morning or evening YARTS to get back to your car in Tuolumne. (see TOPO).
just my 2¢
Mountainman who swims with trout
raymullen
Topix Newbie
Experience: N/A

Post by raymullen »

hi,

i see something about the 's. loop' posted by oldranger - is this a defined trail loop name? i'm in the sf bay area we two of us are thinking of heading out for a 3 day trip in the next few weeks. i was thinking total of 40-50 mile loop (like not having to stage cars). this might fit the bill? i'm not knowledgeable about much of these trails and it has been difficult to find concise information.

thanks!
ray
Sittingbull
Topix Acquainted

Yosemite High Sierra Loop

Post by Sittingbull »

Those are great options. Thank you!
oldranger
Topix Addict

Post by oldranger »

Ray

The loop I proposed is about 20 miles =/-. I would go up the lyle fork an easy 6 miles then take the fork that heads w. to Ireland, Evelyn, Vogelsang. In the Vogelsang area (lots of lakes) the loop would then head back to TM on the Raferty Creek Trail. While the loop is relatively short there is a couple thousand feet of elevation gain and lots of side trip ops. Google these lake names and you will find lots of pics and TRs into the area.

Mike
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
Sittingbull
Topix Acquainted

Post by Sittingbull »

Looks like I will have to delay until July or August. Any suggestions for a three night trip elsewhere in Yosemite? I want to reserve a wilderness permit in advance.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk