Sierra East Side in current Outdoor Photographer

Topics covering photography and videography of the flora, fauna and landscape of the Sierra Nevada mountains. Show off your talent. Post your photos and videos here!
Shawn
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Shawn »

Hey Mountaineer....

Great photo, wish I was there (guess I'm the only one not familiar enough with the eastside to know what mountain that is....LP Peak?)

Congrats on getting it published.

PS. I read your editorial in the Trib. Never heard of that issue until I read your words. What kind of demented water heads would think of screwing the CP that way? :retard:
mountaineer
Founding Member
Experience: N/A

Post by mountaineer »

Shawn, that picture was taken just off Hwy 168, about 7 miles west of Bishop. It is at the beginning of a road that leads into an area called the Buttermilk Country. The view is almost due west and the peak on the left is Basin Mtn. and on the right is Mt. Tom. The photo was taken in January of '06 just after the huge dump that buried the town of Bishop in about a foot of snow.

The article regarding the possibilty of the Carrizo Plain becoming a United Nations World Heritage Site I think was in the Monday Tribune. What a crock!
BSquared
Founding Member
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by BSquared »

Eh? What's this about the Carrizo Plain? Somebody enlighten me (or point me in the right place). I'd always thought being a UN heritage site was a good thing, am I just being naive? It certainly helped the Cradle Mountain area in Tasmania...
Robert
Topix Acquainted

Post by Robert »

Just hand over our land to the United Nations without a single shot being fired!
mountaineer
Founding Member

Post by mountaineer »

BSquared wrote:Eh? What's this about the Carrizo Plain? Somebody enlighten me (or point me in the right place). I'd always thought being a UN heritage site was a good thing, am I just being naive? It certainly helped the Cradle Mountain area in Tasmania...
Getting the UN involved in anything relating to our land is giving up national sovereignty. Yellowstone was designated a World Heritage Site...In Danger in 1995. The U.S. would have to abide by UN recommendations to do whatever it took to supposedly remove Yellowstone from "In Danger" designation. Effectively removing our say over what happens to our lands. It is also well known that "World Heritage" designation actually creates greater wear and tear on the resources than the area sustained before designation.

And, they don't just want to control the actual park...they want to control the areas around the parks also. In the Carrizo Plain, the area is surrounded by several generations old ranching land...look at what the World Heritage charter says about "Buffer Zones":

According to Paragraph 44b of the Operational Guidelines for this program these buffer zones "Should include sufficient areas immediately adjacent to the area of outstanding universal value in order to protect the site...from direct human encroachment and impacts of resource use outside of the nominated area. The boundaries of the nominated site may coincide with one or more existing or proposed protected areas, such as national parks or biosphere reserves."

Let them get their foot in the door and we are screwed.
Robert
Topix Acquainted

Post by Robert »

You realize of course, Yosemite is a UN World Heritage Site as well!
mountaineer
Founding Member

Post by mountaineer »

Yes, as is Sequoia.

We are definitely screwed.