Extreme athlete Dean Potter dies in BASE jumping accident

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.
limpingcrab
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Extreme athlete Dean Potter dies in BASE jumping acciden

Post by limpingcrab »

I hope people realize that not everyone does this kind of stuff for the attention. Graham Hunt, Dean's friend, doesn't even have any social media. He did this for fun, not fame.
markskor
Founding Member - RIP

Post by markskor »

A few thoughts -
Met Dean a few times in the Valley - a crazy mofo but personable, knowledgeable, intelligent, sarcastic, and just an intense individual...liked him immediately.

As long as wing suits are legal to purchase, and high walls are accessible, you are going to continue to see such activity. As long as the public continues to fixate on such extreme athletes and their adventures - free climbing (no pro), hang gliding, base jumping, free-fall steerable parachutes...as long as sponsors continue to lay out big bucks... all interesting exploits, publicly lauded as being "best of the best" athletes, using/ appearing prominently on such social media venues such as Adventure mags, Facebook, TV documentaries, etc, these flights of fancy in Yosemite will continue - someone will always be out there, pushing the envelope.

Instead of making things more difficult for these wing suit dare-devils, (forcing them to fly in failing light conditions - stealth - twilight) - instead, sanction the events - test/rank them as expert-capable, proven, make those who intend such feats pre-qualify before attempting to fly anything, and additionally all these wild individuals also should be forced to buy some sort of yearly insurance policy (high risk policy?) covering possible body recovery. Much like the hang glider Yosemite ranger who oversees all flights off Glacier Point - a thorough inspection process/ logs checked/ proficiency measured - make things hard but possible - legalize (and maybe even promote) these attempts. Much like today's climbers free soloing 5.14 routes and then becoming famous, appearing on TV afterwards...Yosemite has always been the mecca for big wall adventure...well-advertised as such, movies shown daily, gear sold, classes taught. Suggest being pragmatic not hypocritical on what is allowed.

There is no way of actually knowing, but doubtful there was any death wish here - just a wildman athlete searching for adrenalin...RIP.
Mountainman who swims with trout
freestone
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by freestone »

I mean no disrespect to Mr Potter and to those who value their sport, but after seeing the images of him on the tight rope, past discussions about the valley bear problem, and personally experiencing the tourist crush and clownish behavior by more than just a few of the masses...Yosemite Valley has become quite the 3 ring circus, literally.
Short cuts make long delays. JRR Tolkien
LMBSGV
Topix Fanatic

Post by LMBSGV »

Thanks for the clarification on the rangers efforts to police the base jumpers. However, that only reinforces the argument for banning the repeat violators from the park. They are wasting the public’s money and the rangers’ time that could be better spent elsewhere.

Just because you declare yourself a professional extreme athlete does not entitle you special privileges to ignore the rules. To put it in Orwellian terms, are extreme athletes more equal than others? What other occupations are also entitled to ignore the rules? Do professional fisherman get to ignore catch limits and fishing season dates?

As for Marksor’s suggestion, it sounds good in theory but I don’t think the people who engage in this sort of thing would all be willing to comply. I agree with Freestone on the circus/amusement park atmosphere of Yosemite Valley. That’s why I haven’t been there in the summer since 1981.
I don’t need a goal destination. I need a destination that meets my goals.

http://laurencebrauer.com
markskor
Founding Member - RIP

Post by markskor »

LMBSGV wrote:... on the circus/amusement park atmosphere of Yosemite Valley. That’s why I haven’t been there in the summer since 1981.
And I for one thank you, for not being there. :nod:
MountainMinstrel
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Post by MountainMinstrel »

LMBSGV wrote: I agree with Freestone on the circus/amusement park atmosphere of Yosemite Valley. That’s why I haven’t been there in the summer since 1981.
Yet that is exactly why I like the valley. It is an extremely interesting place to people watch, and a great reminder of just how wonderful it is to get away from them all.
Just an old musician who loves the Mountains.
87TT
Topix Regular

Post by 87TT »

Instead of making things more difficult for these wing suit dare-devils, (forcing them to fly in failing light conditions - stealth - twilight) - instead, sanction the events - test/rank them as expert-capable, proven, make those who intend such feats pre-qualify before attempting to fly anything, and additionally all these wild individuals also should be forced to buy some sort of yearly insurance policy (high risk policy?) covering possible body recovery. Much like the hang glider Yosemite ranger who oversees all flights off Glacier Point - a thorough inspection process/ logs checked/ proficiency measured - make things hard but possible - legalize (and maybe even promote) these attempts. Much like today's climbers free soloing 5.14 routes and then becoming famous, appearing on TV afterwards...Yosemite has always been the mecca for big wall adventure...well-advertised as such, movies shown daily, gear sold, classes taught. Suggest being pragmatic not hypocritical on what is allowed.

I agree. Not against it but organize it more and make the participants pay for the costs and not the tax payers and other visitors. It is pure arrogance for these people to do what they want and not be responsible. Let nature and the elements clean up the mess.
markskor
Founding Member - RIP

Post by markskor »

Just to add, the Burj Khalifa, which rises 2,717 ft in Dubai, recently had a well-publicized base jump soiree where "Skydive Dubai sponsored the first leap off The Burj Khalifa, 828 meters tall, on Saturday 21th April 2014, claiming the new Guinness World Record Title of the Highest BASE Jump from the Tallest Building, exhibiting their astonishing base jumping skills...
...Skydive Dubai, with the support of Emirates Aerosports Federation, is one of the world’s premier skydiving locations right in the heart of Dubai City, with a desire for breaking world records. Since Skydive Dubai’s launch in 2010, they have provided a platform for extreme athletes to express their passion, train hard, and achieve their dreams."
http://www.skydivedubai.ae/skydive-duba ... -building/

Obviously a different mind-set over there than currently exhibited here in Yosemite... someone over there realized (correctly) that if you build it, and if it's tall and accessible, someone will surely jump/fly it. "Throughout the whole period, the highest safety measures were put in place..." This sanctioned event (no doubt insured up the butt) brought much acclaim and publicity to the structure, the sport, as well as to the individuals. How is our "platform" any different?

Here in Yosemite we have world renown high granite walls - easily accessed, and a culture that esteems those who dare try to ascend them. When on the wall, free climber's exploits are well-publicized/ recognized as home-town heroes/ spotting scopes prominently set up below to observe same; one slip though, (even though prepared for this contingency and wearing a chute) - instantly vilified?

RE - flying the walls - Accept it, license it, embrace it, promote it, restrict it to those qualified, strictly regulate it, insure it...even charge just to do it legally if/when determined/ proven up to the task. Just don't contribute/add to the obvious inherent dangers by making those who are (probably slightly disturbed but somewhat) qualified?... having them then attempt flight in less-than-ideal conditions. Yes, while still an extremely dangerous sport, (no more so than free-climbing?), realize/accept that this type of activity is growing, both here and elsewhere.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Slightly different here in that much of the rim of the Valley, where the jump starts, is wilderness, not in a city. My understanding is that no permits are required for "camping" on a wall that you are climbing. (I may be wrong on that). Other than that, I agree- accept and make it as safe and cost-neutral to the park, as possible. However, the park is hands-off on climbing (probably due to liability issues), so I suspect it would also be hands-off on jumping, but simply make it "legal" in the same way climbing is legal. Currently they do not require insurance or "qualifications" of climbers - would hate to see that happen. The rescue team is for all uses - but I do think at some time in the future, rescues may have to be charged to the individual.

This brings up an entirely different question - is a designated wilderness the place for extreme sports venues? What about commercial sponsorship? Is that not in the same category as commercial packers? Is there a line that is crossed? "Adventure running" is a big thing now too - competitively timed runs up to the top of peaks in your skivvies with only a couple of water bottles on your belt. :eek: Sort of a non-sponsored sport such as the 100-mile runs (Western States Race).
k9mark
Topix Regular

Post by k9mark »

When I heard about this it just made me shake my head. Rules and regulations are put in place to prevent serious bodily harm or death as well as prevent expenses to the taxpayer for rescues, etc. Its a shame but I cant feel sorry for them. I know thats harsh but theyd be alive today had they just listened. More and more our society just has this, "You cant tell me what to do" or "I can do whatever I want" attitude And it cost them their lives. Pointless.
God created Police Officers so Firemen would have heroes