Optimal Tent for an old guy or old guy + old gal

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
oldranger
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Post by oldranger »

For several years I have been searching for the optimal tent for me.

My criteria: minimum length 85", width at shoulders 40", width at feet 30", Height where sitting up 39", Weight 2 lbs, double wall, side entry.
Why these criteria? My current solo tent is the Flycreek 1 UL, the floor size meets my criteria but it is 1" too low as I hit my head on the top of the tent when sitting. it is also a front entry tent which at my advanced age is getting harder and harder to enter and exit. The Copper Spur UL1 meets all criteria except weight and height being 8 oz too heavy and 2" too low. I like double wall with separate fly for two reasons. First by removing the fly I can have refuge from mosquitoes where there is no shade without getting roasted in an enclosed space. Also it is possible to roll up the fly separately when wet and keep the floor of the tent dry. This facilitates moving early in the AM after a night where conditions lead to condensation. The the relatively large size I want also keeps my sleeping bag from touching the walls of the tent when there is condensation, thus keeping the bag dry.

Any suggestions for an alternative would be appreciated. I am at a stage in life where cost is not much of a concern, just less money for my kids and grandkids.

Now for a two person tent. We currently use a Copper Spur 3 UL. This is almost Ideal. Really comfortable for the two of us. But it is a bit heavier than we would like and has a huge footprint. Optimal would be 60 to 62 inches wide at the shoulders and 56 to 58 inches at the foot, again about 85 inches long and 40+ inches high, weight 4 lbs or less. Two side entries a must. The footprint and weight of the Copper Spur 3 UL make it slightly off the optimal.

Again any suggestions. Most 2 person tents are just too small with max width of about 55" and most 50" or less. With two 26" wide sleeping pads there is just not enough width to ensure that our bags will not hit the sides of the tent.

Thanks for any suggestions.

mike
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
Snowtrout
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: Optimal Tent for an old guy or old guy + old gal

Post by Snowtrout »

I have also been looking to get a lighter tent (than what we currently have) for my wife and I and have nearly similar wants as you. The BA Cooper Spur is one that I looked at but like you, thought the footprint was a little large for just two people. Other two door tents I have researched are the REI Quarter Dome 3 (90L x 70/64W x 42H, 3lbs12oz), Nemo Dagger 3 (90L x 70W x 42H, 3lbs12oz), Eddie Bauer Stargazer 2 (90L x 61/55W x 43H, 4lbs) and Sierra Designs Flash 3FL (86L x 69W x 44H, 4lbs5oz). The Nemo seems similar to the BA, EB weighs more than some 3 person tents and the SD needs stakes all around (not totally freestanding). The REI tent might be something to look at for your two person tent need.
oldranger
Topix Addict

Post by oldranger »

Snowtrout

the 3lb12 oz is without stuff sack or tent pegs. So it is just a few oz lighter. The floor size is a bit smaller but the vestibules still stick out so far that you still need a large space to pitch the tent. In the end not enough benefit to change. But close--Thanks for pointing it out to me. Was in REI yesterday but didn't pay attention to tents. Bought new exped sleeping pad that will cut my base weight by 6 oz. (about $22 dollars per ounce after 20% off).

Mike
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

I seriously doubt you will find a tent that meets all criteria and weighs 2 pounds. You may have to splurge and look at cottage manufacturers of cuben fiber tents, although I think most of those are single-wall. Get onto an Ultra-Light (Backpacking Lite) forum and ask those guys.
AlmostThere
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by AlmostThere »

The MSR carbon reflex 3 (yes, a three person tent) is 4 lbs 9 oz. two vestibules, more than 40 feet of floor space, and 46 inches peak height.

The Tarptent Cloudburst 3 is 86 in long by 62 in wide in floor space. 41 in interior height. There is an optional second wall that can be suspended from clips to make it a double wall tent the tent weighs less than 4 pounds with all the options.

Tarptent Rainshadow 2 weighs 10 ounces less than the cloudburst, has a floor width of 78 inches, a floorlength of 84 inches and interior height of 48 inches and can be set up with trekking poles. it does taper slightly to 64 inches wide at the foot. it does not have two vestibules being an end entry model.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
freestone
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by freestone »

OR,
You might want to check out this company:
http://www.bigskyinternational.com/

I do not have any of their products and I it takes some sifting of options, but they do seem to offer most of your criteria. As usual, the price increases with each option that will reduce the weight and costumer service may or may not be there when you need it most. BA products are heavier, but costumer service is solid.
Short cuts make long delays. JRR Tolkien
AlmostThere
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by AlmostThere »

I clicked send before adding the Z packs three person option- 23 ounces, sets up with two trekking poles. The peak height is 48 inches. Floor width is 60 inches. Floorlength is seven and a half feet. it has two vestibules. It can be yours for the measly sum of $695.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
whrdafamI?
Topix Regular

Post by whrdafamI? »

I recently went with the Big Sky Mirage 2P. While this version is single wall there are 2 others that are not that have the same floor plan. Weight, size and height are right up your alley. Cost on mine was $490 and I'm still happy. You will need to go over their options and Freestone is right, every option that you add costs you more. I looked at this tent as most likely my last so cost was not as much as a concern. I got rid of my Fly Creek UL 2 as I think they are a real POS.
Last edited by whrdafamI? on Thu May 21, 2015 8:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Better to have it and not need it than it is to need it and not have it!

Get busy living or get busy dying.
oldranger
Topix Addict

Post by oldranger »

Well kathy is out of the house for a couple of hours so I ordered a Big Sky Evolution 1p with 2 doors on both fly and inner mesh. UL everything except did no go for cuben fly. Most expensive tent I've ever bought. After weighing my BA Fly Creek 1 ul it looks like more headroom, more convenience, more vestibule and a wash in weight. The floor area enclosed by the mesh is smaller than the Fly Creek but the fly extends further away so I am not concerned about the bag touching the sides of the fly. My new Exped Synmat MW and I will fit in quite nicely.

As for the two person, when Kathy goes with me our trips are relatively short so we will stick with the 3 person Copper Spur. Sometimes I use it with my son, Matt. The weight of the tent doesn't begin to slow him down. So the weight is not an issue.

I'm happy!

Now back to my honey dos and hope kathy doesn't review the credit card bill!

Mike
Last edited by oldranger on Wed May 20, 2015 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mike

whrdafamI?
Topix Regular

Post by whrdafamI? »

Mike, I feel very confident that you will be pleased!
Better to have it and not need it than it is to need it and not have it!

Get busy living or get busy dying.