Smartphone Outdoor Apps

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
gabe&mel
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Re: Smartphone Outdoor Apps

Post by gabe&mel »

BSquared wrote:Very important iPhone note:

The potentially insidious part is that it's now necessary to shut down each of these apps explicitly after using them, because many location-using apps are automatically set up to update the location continuously (or at least frequently), even when the app is in the background. Perhaps users more meticulous than I will find ways to make their apps stop asking for locations when they're not in the foreground, but I find it easier either to flick them off the screen or even to turn the iPhone completely off (I typically use such apps only a couple of times each day, so YMMV).
Thanks BSquared. I was having some battery drain issues on my last trip and I think this may have been the issue.
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Jimr »

Go down to post #4 for an interesting update on this feature change.

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin ... _id=103031
If you don't know where you're going, then any path will get you there.
BSquared
Founding Member
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by BSquared »

Jimr wrote:Go down to post #4 for an interesting update on this feature change.

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin ... _id=103031
Yes indeed, a very worthwhile set of posts, in fact much more informative than anything else I've seen on the Internet on this topic. I was particularly surprised to learn that simply shutting down applications wasn't really the right solution, at least for applications that I'm likely to be using (such as Peak Finder). Thanks much, Jim! =D>
—B²
Snowtrout
Topix Regular

Post by Snowtrout »

Very good information since I do have an Iphone and had read all about the GPS function being turned off while in airplane mode. Thank you for the info on the updated IOS.
Snowtrout
Topix Regular

Post by Snowtrout »

I downloaded and tried the app Topo Maps+ as Jimr suggested. The basic free maps are ok for use and the app does a lot of what I was wanting. Plus, with the new iPhone IOS 8.3, while in airplane mode, I could turn on and off the GPS from the Topo Map+ app. Took maybe 5-10 seconds to get a GPS signal from when I turned it on and then it found my at the exact location on the map I downloaded for that area. After turning it off, the GPS indicator on the phone stayed on for about 10 seconds after. Minimal battery usage was noticed (maybe 6%) after trying the GPS feature about four times.

For me, this app and feature on my iPhone might of just replaced my Garmin GPS since it will only occasionally be used to find my location and it didn't use up the battery too much. If one wants to have the tracking option on for extended time, use a dedicated GPS unit or plan on bringing a battery charger/solar charger.
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Jimr »

Schmalz turned me on to that little app. I paid a few bucks for a couple months of access to their high resolution maps and down loaded most of the Sierra in one hour. Very good quality map tiles, all you can eat for one small price.
If you don't know where you're going, then any path will get you there.