Rae Lakes Loop May 23

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
KevinDo
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Rae Lakes Loop May 23

Post by KevinDo »

Hey Folks!

I was planning on doing the Rae Lakes Loop (CCW) during the memorial day weekend. My permit is the 23rd to the 26th for a group of 5. Now I've been reading around and saw some reports of snow on Glen's Pass and was wondering if the trip was doable. Listed below is my believed skill level and comfort level etc.

What level of backpacking experience do you have?
Level 1- Minimal hiking
Level 2- Some backpacking trips, using trails
Level 3- Numerous backpacking trips, some x-country travel (most of the X-country travel was thru my prior military service so I would say I'm in between level 2 and 3. Proficient in Compass/topomap and GPS) :-k
Level 4- Comfortable with trail and/or x-country travel

What terrain are you comfortable/uncomfortable with?
- Class 1 terrain/trail hiking
- Class 2 terrain/pass/x-country
- Class 3 terrain/pass/x-country
- River crossings
- Snow travel/Glacier crossings I have minimal experience with snow travel. Mainly flat trails in Yose/SEKI during winter and Angels Landing Zion with mini crampons.

What is your main interest?
- Lakes (1)
- Forests (3)
- Big Mountain scenery (2)

- Photography
- Fishing
- Climbing

How many days/nights is your trip, not including travel to trailhead? 3 nights / 4 days, Could possibly turn into a 2 night / 3 day trip depending on the availability of one our group members (group of 5)

How many miles did you want to do a day, any layovers?
http://caltopo.com/m/0M3E#
Map shows proposed distances for either the 3 night or 2 night trip.

Knowing that there is snow on the trail (glen pass area), I was originally planning on just using trekking poles as I have no experience using an ice axe or crampons (do mini ones count?). Would the pass be doable? Also one of our members is oddly adamant about not using poles...has me concerned for her safety on the pass. Suggestions?

Thank You all for your input!
Much Appreciated and hope to see you guys on some trails sometime in the near future!

-Kevin Do
Last edited by KevinDo on Thu May 14, 2015 2:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Re: Rae Lakes Loop May 23

Post by maverick »

Hi Kevin,
Welcome to HST! Your inquiry was split off the original post. Please read: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4205
Also when you get the time an intro would be nice :nod: : viewtopic.php?f=1&t=9329
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
KevinDo
Topix Acquainted

Post by KevinDo »

Ahh oops my bad! Should have definitely provided more Info! Is it ok to ask those questions in that thread? Also will post an intro when I get home!

Thanks!
Kevin
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Hi Kevin,

Better to start you own thread, especially since your inquiry is for a different date
then the OP's. Thanks

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
KevinDo
Topix Acquainted

Post by KevinDo »

Edited first post to provide more information.
Thanks for the suggestion Maverick!

-Kevin
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Hi Kevin,

Thanks for supplying that additional information.

As you saw in the photo from the TR, there was still a significant amount of snow on Glen Pass, and
after these series of storms, there will be several more inches, or more, on the ground.
As of now there is still 20% chance of snow in that area up to Wed, with lows in the mid to upper
20's, and highs in the mid 30's to upper 30's, not very good temps for newbies.

Would advise you to postpone this trip, there will be no use route for your group to follow over Glen
Pass because of the fresh snow, and we do not know what the weather will bring after Wed or for
that weekend.

Would also recommend staying at least 2 days in the Rae Lakes Basin so you can visit Dragon Lake and
Sixty Lakes Basin.

You did not list your groups experience level, only your own, as the group leader, you must
proceed according to the least experienced member of you group.

Which military service? Semper Fi. :)

KevinDo
Topix Acquainted

Post by KevinDo »

USMC semper fi!

I would say 3 out of the 5 match the skill level description (not military though!). Was hoping if I could survive Bridgeport than I could survive this. Spent the past 4 days at SEKI x countrying around Muir Grove and Pine Ridge trying to do a "dry run" in the cold for this trip (25-33ish) .Sigh well here to hoping that the weather improves!

Thanks!
Kevin