Kaweah- Gateway to the Sierra

Topics covering photography and videography of the flora, fauna and landscape of the Sierra Nevada mountains. Show off your talent. Post your photos and videos here!
Windwalker
Founding Member
Experience: N/A

Kaweah- Gateway to the Sierra

Post by Windwalker »

Shot this on the way to Three Rivers a few weeks ago.
doug395
Founding Member

Post by doug395 »

Nice view Windwalker.
mountaineer
Founding Member

Post by mountaineer »

Wow! That is beautiful. When is the last time there was any water in that lake? Did they have to empty it to kill the white bass again? From the looks of the vegetation it probably hasn't seen water in 10+ years?
SSSdave
Topix Addict

Post by SSSdave »

What an excellent location Ww. Fall is likely the only time one would see the river so placid. And that reflects a nice blue sky color. In the summer the river would be much higher and not relfect the sky well. Consider going back if we have a really cold storm later in December with snow down into the middle ground foothills before the river has a chance to rise that is followed by a crisp clear blue sky day.

...David
Windwalker
Founding Member

Post by Windwalker »

mountaineer wrote:Wow! That is beautiful. When is the last time there was any water in that lake? Did they have to empty it to kill the white bass again? From the looks of the vegetation it probably hasn't seen water in 10+ years?
Actually...the lake almost overflowed last spring....if you look at the dry grass on the left you can see the high water mark.

Thanks guys!
JM21760
Topix Regular
Location: Carson City, NV. Former Tahoe South Shore, 25 years.

Post by JM21760 »

Thanks Windwalker.
The memories flood in. Orange blossom perfume. My Uncle, Barney, wife Bertha, owned Kaweah Park Resort in the 60's. I believe the resort is still there, as you come into Three Rivers. He passed away in the 80's. Then, 1977 through 1980, I worked for the concessioner in Giant Forest. Then, I was always going up to Mineral King from 1978 through 1994. My Brother in Law had a cabin in the Valley. Your picture, believe me, is etched into this dude's brain. I have not been up 198 in many a year now. Miss it badly. The second year I worked in Giant Forest, everyone got pissed at the concessioner, and quit. Rash teenage decisions you know. I stayed 2 weeks to help them out, and got a decent reference, I guess. Then, we spent all our money on food and beer, and layed up in MK for the entire summer. No rent, no utilities, no phone, no TV, no cops, no street lights, I was in LOVE! Daily hikes, weekly pack trips. Your pic of the Kaweah below Three Rivers, really is like a homecoming photo for me. Thanks Pal.