TR: Woodchuck Lake 5/3/15-5/6/15

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: TR: Woodchuck Lake 5/3/15-5/6/15

Post by rlown »

gabe&mel wrote: So I just started fishing last year with Tenkara and haven't yet read up on how to gut/cook a fish in the backcountry. Funny enough, Mel shot a video of the fish I caught and lamented, "it is too bad we don't know how to cook fish!" An hour later when I caught a much bigger and fatter trout I was thinking the same thing. I've transitioned from the initial excitement of just hoping to catch any fish whether big or small, to now thinking ok lets cook and eat this badboy. Any tips to start me point me in the right direction?
This is a starter video on how to gut a trout: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U-667Wct4mE There are more out there, just search for how to gut a trout.

There are recipes and techniques in the HST TR's and food topix area on how to cook them. You don't necessarily have to filet a trout as when cooked, the bones will pull right away from the flesh. One place to look for cooking is viewtopic.php?f=6&t=10180&hilit=markskor+trout+cooking

Um... I don't do the foil wrap thing in a pan; I wholeheartedly do a fully wrapped fish in a bed of coals, IFF legal. I do like to add fresh spices and orange juice during the cook over the stove. I cover the pan with foil, until done and then peel the flesh off the bones. Mark's technique works as well :nod:
gabe&mel
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by gabe&mel »

Thanks rlown!! I found this thread too viewtopic.php?f=26&t=953

The reason we enjoy getting out in the high country is to build our skill set every trip we take, and this is the next step. Neither of us grew up in outdoor families so we are learning as we go.
ERIC
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator

Post by ERIC »

gabe&mel wrote:The reason we enjoy getting out in the high country is to build our skill set every trip we take, and this is the next step. Neither of us grew up in outdoor families so we are learning as we go.
Good stuff. You've come to the right place, Gabe. Keep searching around the forums and posting questions. Lots of good info on here and what you don't find, as you're finding out, people here are happy to help with filling in the gaps. :thumbsup:
New members, please consider giving us an intro!
Follow us on Twitter @HighSierraTopix. Use hashtags #SIERRAPHILE #GotSierra? #GotMountains?
Follow us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HighSierraTopix
Laserjet3051
Topix Novice

Post by Laserjet3051 »

Great report (OP)! I solo'd that same exact route a couple years ago and it was desolate when I went through. Skeeters were off the hook however. Not much luck on Woodchuck Lake but the area is spectacular! :)
Big Ed
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by Big Ed »

gabe&mel wrote:Hello all,

That night we did hear an interesting recurrent noise which I would describe as a deep oscillating hum, it would last about 5 seconds and recurr every 30 seconds or so, I still can’t figure out what it was.
Hydro electric power generation?
gabe&mel
Topix Regular

Post by gabe&mel »

I was thinking that too and it makes the most sense. The noise was most prominent our first night which was when we were the closest to Wishon reservoir.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ofuros
Topix Acquainted

Post by ofuros »

Thanks for the sharing your trip report gabe&mel...enjoyed your pics & words. :thumbsup:
Out 'n about....looking for trout.
https://ofuros.exposure.co/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Cross Country
Topix Fanatic

Post by Cross Country »

I barbecued more than a thousand fish over a wood fire. I liked them a lot better like that. It"s diffucut learning how to do it but once you done it one or two dozen times you''re and expert. Take a folding grill with you.
oldranger
Topix Addict

Post by oldranger »

gabe&mel

Re sound: Ever hear a grouse drumming?

Mike
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
oldranger
Topix Addict

Post by oldranger »

gabe&mel

Re sound: Ever hear a grouse drumming? Go to this youtube site.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eVcyZIt5BKc

This is best recording I could come up with on the web. Once with nothing better to do I followed the sound of a grouse drumming up a hillside more than a half mile before I located him in a tree. In the course of doing that I also came across what I later figured out to be a Wolverine track. This was above Seville Lake in Kings Canyon.

Mike
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!