Yosemite High Sierra Loop

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Sittingbull
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Yosemite High Sierra Loop

Post by Sittingbull »

If I want to backpack the High Sierra Loop in Yosemite without staying in the High Sierra Camps, how difficult is it to get a wilderness permit?
markskor
Founding Member - RIP
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Yosemite High Sierra Loop

Post by markskor »

Sort of depends on when (pre-July 4 best and midweek start better than beginning on a weekend) and how many hikers there are in the party.
All that said, if a solo (no problems!) or a 2, starting out/ (BTW, getting a permit out of Tuolumne better than the Valley or elsewhere) - your odds are pretty good. Be prepared though to be flexible as to what trailhead to start out from - Tenaya, Tuolumne, Cathedral, Rafferty Creek, etc...
I would go, get in line Tuolumne early 8 - 9 AM the day before leaving - (permits for next day go out at 11) - worst that can happen is having to kill an extra day waiting for the next "next day" permit.

To add, are you using the HSC's for food? If not, suggest camping not at/near HSCs as crowded.
Mountainman who swims with trout
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Hi Sittingbull,

Welcome to HST! An intro would be nice when you get the time: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=9329
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Sittingbull
Topix Acquainted

Post by Sittingbull »

Thanks. There will be two of us, myself and my son. I think your idea sounds good. I'm not sure how many days we'll get off for our trip. I was thinking of a mini trip: Tuolomne-Glen Aulin-May Lake. We wouldn't be relying on the camps for food most likely.

@Maverick, will do.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

You still have not specified when you were planning to do this trip with your son, it does makes a
difference Sittingbull.

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Sittingbull
Topix Acquainted

Post by Sittingbull »

Hopefully in June, starting on a weekday. I'm still in the early planning stages, so I don't know yet.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Would not advise you to wait to long into the season to do Glen Aulin, especially if Waterwheel Falls and
LeConte Falls are on your tick list. Both will be extremely disappointing by mid June due to the drought
conditions, the Tuolumne drainage snow/water content is only 7% this year, was 31% in 2014.
There is a great camping spot above Waterwheel Falls: http://WildernessApertures.com/img/s7/v ... 7253-6.jpg

AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

For some reason, Glen Aulin is not shown on the full trailheads to have all slots reserved for June - if you want the certainty of permits you could get a couple for a midweek date easily. May Lake trailhead is similar. some of the others are not so open...
Sittingbull
Topix Acquainted

Post by Sittingbull »

June is the earliest I can go b/c I have to wait for my son to finish the school year.
oldranger
Topix Addict

Post by oldranger »

If you haven't been in the area before my choice would be a s. loop rather than the loop you are proposing. I'd either want to head up lyle then follow trail past Evelyn Lake to Vogelsang.Then down Raferty creek. Or the reverse. Much more scenic and better fishing if that is an interest.

Mike
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!