Rae Lake May 21st?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
jemmy
Topix Newbie
Experience: N/A

Rae Lake May 21st?

Post by jemmy »

Thanks to everyone for all of this great info. I've been considering a couple ideas for a 3 - 4 day trip leaving Thursday, May 21. I have a permit starting/ending at Kearsarge Pass (Charlotte Lake and then north). The other ideas was based out of Roads End (likely Rae Lakes Loop). With the weather forecasts posted by maverick and Hobbes I guess I need to reconsider. I'm chomping to get out though, so I'm thinking Roads End up Bubbs Creek and play it by ear. There are worse things than camping at 9000 feet and enjoying the view.

With daytime temps it seems like staying at lower elevations would be quite low risk, but I've seen a lot of great advice reading tons of entries here today (I just signed up) so I'd appreciate any thoughts. If I go I'll definitely file a report.

I'd also appreciate any SEKI alternatives, since the gear is out and ready to go.

I've been backpacking for over thirty years, all over the western U.S., but also Minnesota. I've done everything from overnighters to two weeks averaging 10 - 15 miles a day. I've been going to SEKI for over twenty years but I tend towards late fall trips (October and even November). I also snowshoe, cross country ski and car camp.

Thanks.
Hobbes
Topix Fanatic

Re: TR: Rae Lakes Loop May 8 - May 11

Post by Hobbes »

jemmy wrote:I also snowshoe, cross country ski and car camp.
I guess we're all hoping the series of incoming storms will pass through before Memorial weekend. What I'm waiting for is the classic high-pressure that typically builds in after a storm, producing cloudless, brilliant blue skies and warmer (daytime) temperatures.

We all know it's coming, so it's just a function of being patient. If you already have a permit, and the skies are clearing, I'd jump on it; you might totally score.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Rae Lake May 21st?

Post by maverick »

Hi Jemmy,

Welcome to HST! Your post was split off from the origional post, so it does not piggyback off of it. :)
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
jemmy
Topix Newbie

Post by jemmy »

maverick wrote:Hi Jemmy,

Welcome to HST! Your post was split off from the origional post, so it does not piggyback off of it. :)
Thanks, maverick. I wondered after posting if I should have made it a new thread.
bustinwheels
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by bustinwheels »

Hi all- I have a group of hikers ready to do Rae Lakes starting from Roads End on May 22nd. I'm going to keep a watchful eye out on the weather and hope for the best. If there's any rain/snow in the forecast we have to bail out. Going to do a sun-dance every day to hope for the high pressure skies and lots of sun. I do understand that there's snow on Glenn Pass. We are hiking from Bubb's and then going in a complete loop.

Although we need the rain/snow, pray for sun for Memorial Weekend.
:lol: Olivia C