South Lake to North Lake shuttle 9/7/15

All discussion related to transportation to, from and within the Sierra Nevada. Need directions or flight information? Info on road conditions? A ride to the trail head? Can you offer a ride, or do you run a transportation business or shuttle service for the Sierra Nevada? Come on in and post the details!
gmiseth
Topix Newbie
Experience: N/A

South Lake to North Lake shuttle 9/7/15

Post by gmiseth »

We are backpacking from North Lake to South Lake beginning 9/7. Looking for a ride from South Lake to North Lake on 9/7.

Anybody else doing this trip that we can shuttle from exit to entry with?
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: South Lake to North Lake shuttle 9/7/15

Post by maverick »

Welcome to HST! Hitching a ride would be pretty easy if you cannot hook up with someone else doing the hike.
Just make a small sign and offer a few $ for gas. If you get the time, and introduction would be nice. :)
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=9329
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
LightRanger
Topix Acquainted

Post by LightRanger »

Buddy and I hitched that in 2013. Took about an hour. Good old boys in the truck with the 5th wheel attachment took us down to the junction after we had hiked down the road for a bit. And then camp caretakers who we had seen and chatted with a few days prior as we were leaving North Lake took us up to our car from the junction. The sign I made (and carried a big paper scrap for) that said "NORTH LAKE $20" did absolutely nothing. We stood underneath the road sign at the junction for a good 40+ minutes before somebody we knew picked us up. So... Be patient if you hitch?

Typed with my opposable thumbs
Dave_Ayers
Topix Regular

Post by Dave_Ayers »

gmiseth wrote:We are backpacking from North Lake to South Lake beginning 9/7. Looking for a ride from South Lake to North Lake on 9/7.
I've hitched that route before also, and it took me about an hour to get rides too.

Be aware that they will start re-paving the South Lake parking lots on 9/8 (https://fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUME ... 834861.pdf). If you happen to come out a day late, there might not be much traffic on South Lake Road since the lots and boat ramp will be closed, so hitching may be difficult.

You may want to consider adding to your hike and go over to Lake Sabrina via the Tyee Lakes trail. That involves around ~6.5 mi of trail and ~5 mi of road walking to get to the North Lake TH parking lot and you might be able to thumb the road portions. You could stash your packs near South Lake or near the Tyee TH to make things easier. There are bear storage boxes in both places. Then you could come back around with your car to pick up the packs on the way out. If you camp at Long Lake the night before, the total day is perhaps ~14 mi, but all the ~3,000 feet of climbing can be with just a day pack.
Last edited by ERIC on Fri May 08, 2015 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: fixed quote tag
Ikan Mas
Topix Regular

Post by Ikan Mas »

A few photos from the Tyee Lakes Trail in 2012. I was surprised how good the scenery was and how few people were there compared to North and South Lakes. Nice place.
Lower Tyee Lake

Upper Tyee Lake

Top of Table Mountain

George Lake

Lake Sabrina from Above