Lurkers Please Introduce Yourself =)

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
joshuacourter
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: Lurkers Please Introduce Yourself

Post by joshuacourter »

Hello All,

This is long over due for me, so here we go. As my user name states, my name is Joshua. I have been a member for several months, but not as active as I plan to be in the future. I grew up in central California and spent 7 to 8 years camping in SEKI (Sequoia-Kings Canyon NP) with family. It was a cheap vacation that my family could afford each year and, needless to say, ingrained in my the love for the outdoors. I didn't hit the backpacking scene till college. My first trip was to West Virginia for winter backpacking (December). We almost froze to death, literally, but that seemed only to fuel my desires to do it again. I led my first weekend backpacking trip into the Domeland Wilderness a couple years later and have since done others. I consider myself experienced, but at the same time always in a state of learning from others. I value others wisdom and guidance in future endeavors.

My passion for the outdoors and making information freely available to others led me to create 3 wilderness blogs/websites (see signature). I found this forum, HST, when someone posted a linked from my blog/website on the Golden Trout Wilderness. From there I have really enjoyed reading through peoples trail reports, stories, experiences and more. I plan to share my trail reports as I venture out in the seasons to come along with sharing advice/knowledge where I can and when I am able to do so.

Cheers!
Joshua
Burk504
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

Post by Burk504 »

Love this site! My name is Jeff and live in VIrginia. 25 years ago I spent some time packing in Yosemite and haven't hiked in CA since. Did 7 days in Glacier NP last summer and this year we are High Sierra bound.

Myself and 6 others have a permit for Rae Lakes Loop (counter-clockwise) in August. Going to take 6 days to do it, so am lurking here for ideas on best lakes to do 'layovers' at. Goal is to fish and maybe bag a summit or two on the off-days.

Might post the question in the main forum, but I bet it's been asked a million times. Any ideas/links would be appreciated. Happy Trails!
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

Hi Jeff,

Welcome to HST! 25 years is a long time. Use the "search feature" at the top of the "backpacking "
page, type in Rae Lakes, and you will get a treasure full of information, and please feel free to ask
any question about the area after you have done your searches, that is why we are here. :nod:
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
robow8
Topix Regular

Post by robow8 »

Burk504 wrote:Love this site! My name is Jeff and live in VIrginia. 25 years ago I spent some time packing in Yosemite and haven't hiked in CA since. Did 7 days in Glacier NP last summer and this year we are High Sierra bound.

Myself and 6 others have a permit for Rae Lakes Loop (counter-clockwise) in August. Going to take 6 days to do it, so am lurking here for ideas on best lakes to do 'layovers' at. Goal is to fish and maybe bag a summit or two on the off-days.

Might post the question in the main forum, but I bet it's been asked a million times. Any ideas/links would be appreciated. Happy Trails!
Jeff, When are you going to be there? My wife and I are also doing a CCW Rae Lakes loop, starting on August 17th. Maybe we'll see you out there!
Burk504
Topix Novice

Post by Burk504 »

robow8 wrote:,When are you going to be there? My wife and I are also doing a CCW Rae Lakes loop, starting on August 17th. Maybe we'll see you out there!
We will be finishing up on the 15th! Happy to provide a fresh report when we are done!
cslaght
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by cslaght »

Hello everyone!

I guess it's my turn to introduce myself here. I have used this site a few times, and it has become an invaluable resource for information on anything Sierras, so thank you everyone!

First off, my name is Charles and I live in Visalia. I've been in either Visalia or Fresno most of my life and must say I enjoy most of it. My affinity for these mountains started at a very young age with numerous camping trips with family and friends. The areas that I frequented would be Big Meadows and up to Huntington Lake (with the former being my favorite). After some backpacking trips with my parents growing up (Weaver Lake and Franklin Lakes mainly), I had an extended hiatus in my backpacking adventures. College can do that to people I guess, right? :-({|= Anyways, during my mom's 50th, and not coincidentally the end of my first semester of grad school at Fresno State in 2009, I went on my first backpacking trip in around a decade. This awesome trip to Mehrten Meadow (so far I know) really rekindled my love of this area. After I finished Grad School in 2012, I started doing day hikes at a much more constant pace (relative from zero haha ;) ) Now, my dad and I have made it a tradition to set off on a three day trip and those have started to become more and more ambitious, and I couldn't be happier. My oldest son is turning 6 this year, and the plan is to introduce him to backpacking. My two boys love camping already, and Big Meadows always works for us. As they get older, I imagine this will continue.

Finally, I want to say how much I appreciate mountains in general. I've seen many ranges and areas, traveling through the Rockies, Glacier NP probably topping that list, and seeing some of the German and Austrian Alps, Bertchesgaden is beautiful, but I must say, the Sierras top them all in so many ways for me. Enough sentimental praise, it's time to get back up there (soon!)
"The mountains are calling, but can't find my phone"

Charles
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

Hi Charles,

Welcome to HST! Hope you and your boys have many more great adventures in the Sierra!
Looking forward to reading about some of them, we enjoy reading trips outside of the Sierra
too, in the "Beyond The Sierra Nevada" section, please feel free to post any previous trips
that you have done. :nod:
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
gabe&mel
Topix Regular

Post by gabe&mel »

Hey all,

My name is Gabe, I'm 30 years old and started backpacking for the last 10 years when I moved to Fresno for college. My partner in crime who joins me on most trips is Mel. From this forum I've learned a ton of information on how to become a better backpacker. From discussions and trail reports on this forum I've been able to knock off quite a few bucket lists places like Tehipite Valley in 2012, JMT 2014, and countless other shorter treks in the Sierra. I plan to do a month in the high sierra this year, hopefully I will see you out there. Here is our 1st trip report: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=12695

From Mel: Hi HST! I'm Mel, Gabe's photographer... oops, I mean partner. I'm in my mid-20s and started backpacking about 4 years ago. My first big trip was Tehipite Valley with Gabe! :eek: (which Gabe hopes to write a trail report on soon).

Thanks,

Gabe & Mel
cwalter24
Topix Newbie

Post by cwalter24 »

Yep. Should have done this a while ago. Long Beach Ca Local (33Yrs) (Southern Ca). Grew up fishing in the eastern sierras. Specifically the Sabrina Basin. Lately I've been collecting the gear to do some overnight backpacking. Almost got everything I need(Just need a Sleeping Bag and a Down jacket). Gonna try and plan a Over niter at Blue Lake in Late July if Possible.

Cameron
austex
Topix Expert

Post by austex »

Welcome and PM sent on gear