SHR - SoSHR thru, food cache options

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Poedog
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

SHR - SoSHR thru, food cache options

Post by Poedog »

My partner and I are planning our high route trip starting in June, and are considering heading southbound on Ropers route from Twin Lakes to Dusy Basin where we would intersect onto Dixon's SoSHR, ultimately finishing at Cottonwood Lakes. Concerning resupply, we're thinking that a cache around the South Lakes area and/or Kearsarge Pass/Onion Valley would be suitable, assuming we're resupplying at Reds and are moving at a good clip. Any suggestions for a better cache? Of course this is all dependent on daily mileage, but lets say we'll be covering 10-15 mpd.

Also, any reason why a mid-June southbound start wouldn't be recommended this year? We are both comfortable on class 3 and snow travel. Any tips on the best way to get from Lone Pine (where we would leave our vehicle) back up to Twin Lakes to start? We have no time constraints, and would like to follow this plan to fruition. Thank you all.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: SHR - SoSHR thru, food cache options

Post by maverick »

Hi Poedog,

Welcome to HST! For transportation you can hitch or http://www.estransit.com/CMS/
Resupplies besides the options you have stated, are Vermillion Resort, Muir Ranch, Grant Grove and Shepherd
Pass, OV or BP would the best locations when resupplying out of SEKI.
An intro would be nice when you get the time. :thumbsup:
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Poedog
Topix Novice

Post by Poedog »

maverick wrote:An intro would be nice when you get the time. :thumbsup:
Ah yes, just did that. Putting the cart before the horse; I apologize.

Thank you for those options, I will research further. RE: northern slopes in mid June, would microspikes be worth the weight? I know historically that would be a good bet, but with the drier winters as of late, is traction recommended for any passes along the route in late Spring? I've read conflicting reports.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Poedog wrote:
RE: northern slopes in mid June, would microspikes be worth the weight?
Would plan on taking them, and then wait till late May or early June to see what trip reports are saying
about the conditions along the SHR that would warrant not taking them before deciding otherwise.
We have several TR's here on HST that will give you detailed descriptions of the routes, use the "search
feature" at the top of the page to access them.
For example here is a fabulous, and recent posting from Alan Dixon, who put together a wonderful guide
on the SoSHR that should be quite helpful to you David:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=12533

PS: Cool blog David, thanks for including it to your intro post. :)
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
dapperdave
Topix Acquainted

Post by dapperdave »

Poedog,

About a mile from the South Lake TH, Parchers Resort will hold a resupply package, you can pay for a shower there too. I used them last year with no problems.

Dave
Last edited by dapperdave on Wed Apr 29, 2015 8:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
RoguePhotonic
Topix Fanatic

Post by RoguePhotonic »

As pointed out Parchers is the only good option. From there your going to either have to hitch hike to a town, have someone bring you a package, pay high costs of packer support or do an illegal food stash at a trail head.

There is a reason every year I don't spend lengthy amounts of time along the Southern end of the East crest. There just isn't any options for resupply.
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

Poedog
Topix Novice

Post by Poedog »

Thanks for that link Maverick, I'm familiar with Dixon's report. And good to know of Parchers, as well as MSM.
adixon
Topix Novice

Post by adixon »

Poedog, nice to see that someone is considering doing the whole shebang. All the best on knocking this one out. -alan
Poedog
Topix Novice

Post by Poedog »

Thanks Alan, you've been a great source of information regarding this southern portion.

As well with you're work in the Winds, which we plan on yo-yoing a variation of in August.