TR: Tehipite from Roads End - Oct. 22nd-27th 2014

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Steve_C
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Re: TR: Tehipite from Roads End - Oct. 22nd-27th 2014

Post by Steve_C »

Wow! Those are some high-miles and big climbing days! How heavy were your packs?

You certainly covered a lot of rugged miles in six days.
dapperdave
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by dapperdave »

Thanks all, for your kind words :D

Bill, I've read the TRs on your site many times over the past few years, that praise really from you means a lot to me.

Daisy, you're the inspiration for many of my route choices on various trips :) I cant specifically remember obvious campsites, but I'm sure there were a few flat areas big enough for a bivy. The black flies were annoying, but a headnet would definitely have solved that. I don't fish, but we saw a few ~12" brookies in deep eddies below Simpson meadow while filling waterbottles.

Mav, Praise from another legend, my head is swelling. Castle domes was probably past it's peak, but it was still dark when we passed through so it definitely wasn't glowing :wink:
The HL50 is very well built - Anodised Al, waterproof to IPX68, can take CR123 or AA battery, regulated output, accurate specs, low parasitic drain, neutral white light, good optics.
38762.jpg
Basically, it's a lightweight and well-made example of a fairly mature technology in a competitive market. Civilization (sometimes) works =D>

LMBSGV, your beautifully-written trip reports have been another source of inspiration over the years, thanks for reading!

Limpingcrab - If we all liked the same thing, solitude would be hard to come by :wink: Vive la difference! I guess living in England, dense old deciduous forests are pretty common round here, Sequoia and gnarled old Foxtail not so much. It might be a seasonal thing as well, the local mixed deciduous woods where I run a lot are looking beautiful at the moment, Beech leaves sprouting, Wood anemones at their peak, native bluebells nearing theirs...

Steve C. - Our packs were pretty light, on Day 1, I had about 25 lbs, Claire had 12 or so.

Again, thank you all for reading,

Dave
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
dapperdave
Topix Acquainted

Post by dapperdave »

Ofuros,

Ive just checked out your site, some really interesting photos of your local wildlife, I particularly like the pin-sharp python shots and that taipan looks dangerous :eek:

Dave
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Thanks Dave for the specs. :)
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org