Gardiner Basin?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Re: Gardiner Basin?

Post by Wandering Daisy »

As for the pass from 60 Lakes to Gardiner Basin (Sixty Lake Col), route finding is a bit tricky and there is a lot of talus to hop. Depends on how fast you go on talus or how good your route finding skills. From about half an hour above Rae Lake I went to Lake 3477 - a short day because weather was bad and it was storming by 2PM (snowed that night). Next night at Lake 3214, with a day hike to Lake 3223. Again it stormed really bad by 5PM (4 inches of rain in 2 hours then froze solid). Next day I returned to 60 Lakes and camped at the high lakes at timberline northeast of Mt Cotter. It is a good idea to have a bit of contingency for poor weather. If the talus is wet and slippery in the upper part of Gardiner Basin, it will slow you down. Once below Lake 3477 talus is not a big issue. I have not done the lower part of Gardiner Basin - others here have and they have written trip reports. I have never gone in via Gardiner Pass. I caught a few fish in Lake 3214 - quite easy to catch but small. I did not try to fish Lake 3477 - it was really windy and I was fly fishing. The lake surface never was calm so if there were rises, one would not know due to all the waves. I did not try to fish the lake basin containing Lake 3223 and did not see fish rise, but it was in the middle of the day (and quite windy) so does not mean there are no fish. Most if not all of the lakes in 60 Lakes basin are barren due to gill netting.
SSSdave
Topix Addict

Post by SSSdave »

CapnPaul wrote:Dave, is this the bench you're talking about?
Yup. Vaguely recall from mid 90s after crossing the creek there, we noted some tentable spots but thinking there would be something better above continued up and ended up about 3200 as the foxtail pine forest is more open with views south optimal. But then we had a bit further to walk to get to the small stream. We'd spent a few days below Ericson's Crags then camped at East Vidette Meadow where the famous bear that chewed through fat branches to drop food bags paid a visit and would have gotten are food if we had not thrown rocks. Next day we just had a short hike to this bench then base camped there a couple nights before doing Charlotte Creek crosscountry to Bubbs Creek in order to see the dome. But rather difficult route.

The nose of the ridge to the west at 3420 has one of the best afternoon views in that region of the Siera (including Rae Lakes Basin) although its the kind of noname place that isn't a summit that almost no others have probably noticed much less climbed up to. An interesting climb from the north along the drop off. Last year was camped east of Bullfrog at the no camping boundary line and was climbing up there but didn't reach the top before lightning chased me back down haha. Superb foxtail pines forest.

David
harthiker
Topix Newbie

Post by harthiker »

Pardon the novice question but where can I go to identify the lakes referenced by number? Thanks!
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Lakes that do not have names are often referred to by their elevation that is on the 7.5 minute USGS topographical maps.
AlmostThere
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by AlmostThere »

If a lake is numbered in the 3000 range the measurement is metric. Some maps show feet. If your map shows lakes in the 10000s convert the numbers above to feet. Tom Harrison maps show measurements in feet.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

Hi Harthiker,

Welcome to HST! If you get the time, an official introduction would be appreciated. :thumbsup:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=9329
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org