Youngs Lake to Glen Aulin - X-Country?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Gozerian138
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

Youngs Lake to Glen Aulin - X-Country?

Post by Gozerian138 »

Hello,
I have a wilderness permit for Youngs Lakes via Dog Lake in July, with first night camping at lower Youngs Lake. After that first night, we are planning on hiking over to Glen Aulin HSC for 2 nights. Is there a viable cross country route that connects the two points? I read one trip report which mentioned this cross country route, however I need to know how viable it is. By viable, I mean the presence of an existing use trail. I will have my teenage kids with me on this trip and I need to make sure that we do not get into a bad situation. I am a level 2 backpacker (level 2) with limited experience with cross country travel. My kids are beginners with a 3-4 trips under their belt. Would like to keep to Class 2 terrain.
We could always stick to the established trails, but looking on the map, a cross county route looks very tempting as it would reduce the trail mileage considerably. Any feedback on the viability of this and/or a cross country route description would be much appreciated.
markskor
Founding Member - RIP
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Youngs Lake to Glen Aulin - X-Country?

Post by markskor »

Piece of cake - nice beginner x-country route too as you really cannot get lost...easy downhill, slab granite, and lodgepoles.
Follow (the use trail along) the stream...Conness Creek.
Mountainman who swims with trout
Gozerian138
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

Re: Youngs Lake to Glen Aulin - X-Country?

Post by Gozerian138 »

Thanks Markskor! Sounds like the use trail is a fisherman use trail based on a report i ended up finding online. Maybe i can throw my line in on the way down the canyon. It looks like the use trail will lead us right into the HSC from the back.