JMT conditions

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
dburton983
Topix Newbie
Experience: N/A

JMT conditions

Post by dburton983 »

A few of my buddies and I are planning to hike the JMT this summer. We are aiming to start in early July and take about 2-3 weeks. Generally speaking, is the trail in good enough condition to through hike (North to South) without ice/snow gear? What are the average temperatures at day and night?

Any info would be much appreciated as we are trying to book flights A.S.A.P.

Thanks!
"Not all who wander are lost."
gdurkee
Founding Member

Snow conditions JMT

Post by gdurkee »

No telling. You won't really be able to have an idea until maybe April at the earliest. Even then, if you have a really cold spring, the snow stays even if it was an average snow year.

In most years, early July will still have a fair amount of snow on the passes and the upper parts of the basins as you approach.

Still, a pair of ski poles would be good for "snow gear." Although everyone has them that time of year, ice axes are usually a waste of weight... .

Good trip!

George
BSquared
Founding Member
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by BSquared »

Take lots of bug dope! ;)
EricJLee
Founding Member

Post by EricJLee »

Did it S->N starting June 30th, 2004(a low snow year). That year the pass crossings were easy(technically), though Muir and Forester had snow. I used trekking poles, very helpful when the snow started to warm. If the snow pack stays low like it is right now you should be fine, but if it turns into the last 2 years early July will be very very snowy and a mountaineering trip.
Photos comparing early July 2004/2005/2006.
Lake Helen in Muir Pass 2004
Forester Pass 2005
Emigrant Wilderness(N of Yosemite) 2006
Eric
BSquared
Founding Member
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by BSquared »

Eric, was that an aerial photo of Forester in 2005, or were you on top of something, and if so, what? Mt. Tyndall?
EricJLee
Founding Member

Post by EricJLee »

Exacto mundo, I was climbing Williamson/Tyndall, thus had a nice view of the surroundings. There was still quite a bit of snow in 2005, not as much as last year though. Man last spring/summer was epic for snow, even got to ski Shasta second week in June :D .
Eric