REI Dividend

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
flyfisher70
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Re: REI Dividend

Post by flyfisher70 »

The total on my dividend was $52.79, I used it towards a Snow Peak Titanium Solo cook set with the addition of the 20% off, I spent a just under $5. Not a bad deal.

I'll likely do my Christmas shopping at REI again this year.
JWreno
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by JWreno »

Those Zamberlan Viog GT look like some serious boots. I can't wear a Gore-Tex lined boot except when the weather is cold as in October - March. My feet have to breath or I sweat out my feet and get blisters. I hike with trail runners and figure they are good for a season before replacement. I train in the same trail runners so I go through a 2nd pair just on training walks and hikes.

I just bought the NeoAir Xlight Large, Brooks Cascadia 9, Patagonia long underwear, trail gators and another small headlamp. Left about $260 for my wife to buy what ever she wants.
Jeff
KathyW
Founding Member

Post by KathyW »

JWreno: Thanks for your post. I have a $38 dividend and could not figure out what to use it on, but when I saw your post about buying Brooks Cascadia's I realized this would be a perfect time to buy new Cascadia's. I never think of REI when I think of running shoes, but they do carry trail runners.
FeetFirst
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by FeetFirst »

I took my $40 dividend + 20% off coupon and picked up a Steripen Adventurer Opti (still had to shell out $30). I've been wanting to try out a Steripen for a while, but was waiting till they got the bugs sorted out. Seems like they're much more dependable now and coupled with REI's 1 year no worry return I figured it was worth a shot.
I'm still rather convinced that you can achieve more than you've ever dreamed of if you just lower your standards.
oldhikerQ
Topix Regular

Post by oldhikerQ »

Got about $240, primarily from using REI Visa for business travel. Picked up a ThermaRest EvoLite (L) sleeping pad. Decided I was old enough that a pad thicker than 1inch was a necessity, not a luxury.
Even remembered to click the REI link on HST to make my purchase.
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I — I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.
Robert Frost
freestone
Topix Expert

Post by freestone »

La Sportiva Wildcats size 13.5 and Luci Lux lantern. Total final bill was $27.00 after applying a refund for the failed Brooks Cascades, a $17.00 dividend, and the 20% discount. Next on the list, either an Exos 38 or the Kelty Trekker external frame.
Short cuts make long delays. JRR Tolkien
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

I just saved about $300 by NOT using my REI coupons. I picked out what I though I needed, then let it go a few days, and decided that way over-priced stuff, even if 50% off (outlet), buying "nice to have" vs "really need" and what I really wanted, was no deal. The only thing I really needed were more butane canisters and the car gas used to go to REI to get the 20% off was more than the 20% off. Sigh. Unfortunately, much of the stuff in the outlet did not interest me in the least. I am now waiting to see what will show up on the big annual sale.
InsaneBoost
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Post by InsaneBoost »

Decided to save the money on a GPS unit and use maps instead, and bit the bullet on the new mtnglo Big Agnes Copper Spur UL3 tents. Weighs a good 4lbs less than my old tent packaged vs. packaged so that's nice. Even lighter if I go quick pitch.

Don't think the woman will be letting me buy anything else anytime soon, but I did save nearly $200 on it with the 20% and dividend. Felt that was worth it.
fishmonger
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by fishmonger »

InsaneBoost wrote:
Don't think the woman will be letting me buy anything else anytime soon
Why is it that women will eventually say "fine!" when they really mean "eat dirt and die?" ;)