TR: 4/18-20: HH - Vernon Lake - Tiltill - Rancheria Falls

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
valeofoakland
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

TR: 4/18-20: HH - Vernon Lake - Tiltill - Rancheria Falls

Post by valeofoakland »

We did the clockwise loop up from O'Shaughnessy Dam to Vernon Lake. With a 20-40 chance of rain or thunderstorms forecasted throughout the trip, we were prepared to get a little wet. Fortunately for us - unfortunately for CA and the Sierra - the dark clouds and thunder in the distance both evenings passed us by. I was especially relieved, as we realized 11 miles in the wilderness that my hiking partner forgot our tent poles.

The drought conditions are a bit depressing. There was no water between the dam and Laurel Lake. The seasonal streams and the unnamed pond before Laurel Lake trail junction were bone-dry. Beehive was dry. And crossing Tiltill Valley was a cinch without all the water.

ImageThis is blue on the map. #DROUGHT

ImageStorm clouds as we approach Vernon Lake

ImageAbove Tiltill

ImageRattlesnake in Tiltill Valley

ImageCrossing Tiltill Valley

ImageHetch Hetchy from Rancheria Falls

ImageA lizard friend
Last edited by valeofoakland on Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: TR: 4/18-20: HH - Vernon Lake - Tiltill - Rancheria Fall

Post by maverick »

Thanks for coming back and taking the time to post this TR and pictures! :thumbsup:

Valeofoakland wrote:
I was especially relieved, as we realized 11 miles in the wilderness that my hiking partner forgot our tent poles.
Fortunate that you were only going out for 2 nights, a longer several day trip and the both of you would have had a 22 mile day
but no mileage to show for it. Any wildflowers at all in Beehive area? Is the Vernon to Tiltill already dry, no water source either?
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
valeofoakland
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: TR: 4/18-20: HH - Vernon Lake - Tiltill - Rancheria Fall

Post by valeofoakland »

maverick wrote:Any wildflowers at all in Beehive area? Is the Vernon to Tiltill already dry, no water source either?
Wildflowers weren't fully out at Beehive. The Tiltill Creek was flowing - we stopped there for a nice long lunch and fill-up on Day 2.