North Dome Camping?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
FeetFirst
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: North Dome Camping?

Post by FeetFirst »

AlmostThere wrote:... but a start on the OBOFRT would be preferable to either. I'd take a few days and just do the north rim trail. Visit El Cap, Eagle Peak, top of Yosemite Falls, and plunge down Snow Creek to Mirror Lake to freak out tourists with my backpacker grunge.
:thumbsup: Agreed. I was thinking the same thing.

Unfortunately, the El Cap shuttle doesn't start running till May 22nd, so until then you'll either have to hoof the extra miles to the TH from the Camp 4 Valley shuttle stop, hitch a ride there, or park at the TH and hitch/walk back to your car upon return.
I'm still rather convinced that you can achieve more than you've ever dreamed of if you just lower your standards.
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

FeetFirst wrote:
AlmostThere wrote:... but a start on the OBOFRT would be preferable to either. I'd take a few days and just do the north rim trail. Visit El Cap, Eagle Peak, top of Yosemite Falls, and plunge down Snow Creek to Mirror Lake to freak out tourists with my backpacker grunge.
:thumbsup: Agreed. I was thinking the same thing.

Unfortunately, the El Cap shuttle doesn't start running till May 22nd, so until then you'll either have to hoof the extra miles to the TH from the Camp 4 Valley shuttle stop, hitch a ride there, or park at the TH and hitch/walk back to your car upon return.
Or, you ride or hike to the valley mile 7 sign, and go up Rockslides - which is not on a map but a valid trailhead listed on the full trailheads report. Bonus bouldering up the rockslide on the way to the first junction.
FeetFirst
Topix Regular

Post by FeetFirst »

AlmostThere wrote:
Or, you ride or hike to the valley mile 7 sign, and go up Rockslides - which is not on a map but a valid trailhead listed on the full trailheads report. Bonus bouldering up the rockslide on the way to the first junction.
That's what I was referring to. The Rockslides TH (also listed in the on-line permit application) is about a half a mile west from the El Cap Shuttle stop E4 (El Cap bridge).
I'm still rather convinced that you can achieve more than you've ever dreamed of if you just lower your standards.
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

FeetFirst wrote:
AlmostThere wrote:
That's what I was referring to. The Rockslides TH (also listed in the on-line permit application) is about a half a mile west from the El Cap Shuttle stop E4 (El Cap bridge).
I was initially thinking of the trailhead on the road up to Crane Flat, which would be less work than Rockslides. I use that one to day hike the top of Devil's Dance Floor when we can't access tamarack flat. Tho one must be able to float across white thorn these days....
FeetFirst
Topix Regular

Post by FeetFirst »

AlmostThere wrote: I was initially thinking of the trailhead on the road up to Crane Flat, which would be less work than Rockslides. I use that one to day hike the top of Devil's Dance Floor when we can't access tamarack flat. Tho one must be able to float across white thorn these days....
Gotcha. I've only taken Rockslides to the rim, but Tamarack Flat seems like the smart way to go.
Kris
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Post by Kris »

The camp along snow creek was once lightly traveled not that many years ago. It ended up on the cover of backpacker magazine some 7-8 years ago or so. A yoga guiding company has now made that their go to location for 'retreats'. It is a special place and snow creek itself near that site shown in one of the above pictures has its own special appeal for the hot hiker. There are many grinding holes and the spot was likely very special to the miwoks and pauites that visited. I have found an obsidian axhead there. I reburied it. Please tread lightly. I wince a bit to discuss this area as its an incredible spot thats not hard to get too. It is offtrail, however, and you have to know where to exit the trail.
~We shall not cease from exploration and the end of all our exploring will be to arrive where we started... and know the place for the first time.

T.S. Eliot
InsaneBoost
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Post by InsaneBoost »

Got a couple extra questions.

Is using vestibules pretty much impossible there? I assume there's nowhere to stake it in?

Where do you put your bear cans if camping ontop of the dome itself? I'm guessing there's nowhere to put it?

Never camped on a rock/granite before so this is kind of new to me. I know I can use rocks to guy the tent out if needed, but if it's not going to be terribly cold or rainy (I'll watch weather), I probably won't even use the fly, unless you all suggest otherwise?
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

Use huge piles of rocks - a long sturdy stick through the stake loop can be a good deadman anchor. Or, bring extra lengths of cord and loop through the stake loop, and tie off to boulders. NEVER just plop a "freestanding" tent anywhere especially if there are no trees WHEN the wind comes up and turns it into a box kite. The weight of your gear is not enough to keep it on the ground!

I put my bear can in a tree well, and if that is not available I pile as many flakes or boulders of granite on it as I can to be an early warning system, so I can get up and chase the bear away. I never assume that a bear can will ever be bear PROOF - they are bear resistant, and rumor has it a few elite bear ninjas in Yosemite have successfully breached a can by rolling it off onto granite. And if the bear has learned to play soccer with it, it doesn't matter whether they ever get in, it'll be out of your reach anyway. We have chased away bears many, many times in Yosemite.
markskor
Founding Member - RIP

Post by markskor »

To add, yes, a few years back, there was an educated Yosemite bear that hung around the Snow Creek ledge campground. The bear's notable trick was to collect the stashed bear cans at night, roll them over to the ledge, and subsequently toss them over the cliff - then go down below (a few thousand foot drop) and collect the food spoils. This has been verified by the Tuolumne Rangers but thankfully, they also mentioned that last season that particular bear had moved on elsewhere - gone for now. ...could return again anytime though.

While camping there, I always keep my night bear can stashed tent close/ very close...signal pots and rocks left atop the can, hopefully any noise will wake me up.

On another note, have been North Dome more than a few times now, and while there always looking for that aforementioned hidden springs location...was told it was close by...however, never have discovered it. Anybody ever found it? - if so, please help an old hiker out and put a map cursor (a big X) on the approximate location for me - post here using the HST TOPO.
Thanks
Mountainman who swims with trout
InsaneBoost
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Post by InsaneBoost »

AlmostThere wrote:Use huge piles of rocks - a long sturdy stick through the stake loop can be a good deadman anchor. Or, bring extra lengths of cord and loop through the stake loop, and tie off to boulders. NEVER just plop a "freestanding" tent anywhere especially if there are no trees WHEN the wind comes up and turns it into a box kite. The weight of your gear is not enough to keep it on the ground!
Okay I'll tie it off to rocks then like I would have done with the rain fly.

Interesting about this bear you all speak of, but then again they aren't stupid right? Still trying to decide where to camp. Guess it will depend on if we're tired or not. If we have a lot of energy I'm hoping somewhere NEAR/ON North Dome, if not we'll stay up around the Snow Creek area like you all had suggested (that is the granite area above North Dome correct?).

If we stay up there I'm sure we'll have much better areas to store the bear canister. Otherwise I'll try to rig it as you all said so noise is made. I swore I read you need to keep the can 100ft away from your site, but I guess I'm thinking of camping 100ft off the trail and from water. Is there a true rule as to how far you need to keep it away from your tent?

I obviously know not to keep it in your tent, vestibule, etc.