Kern-Sierra Trail help/suggestions needed

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Snowtrout
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: Kern-Sierra Trail help/suggestions needed

Post by Snowtrout »

Thank you all again for the wonderful advice. I've looked at the maps again and have laid out a few trail profiles on caltopo. Coming from the kern, going out shepherd pass seems the closest and less traveled. Glad to know anvil camp has consistent water. How about the lake west of the pass. Worth spending the night and fishing? Sounds like an early start is needed to beat the heat though.

At this time, I'm going to show my wife the two possible routes with the suggestions you have made, kern exiting out shepherd or following the hst and checking out Whitney area, and see which route she would feel comfortable with. Last thing I want is her scared hiking an area or section of trail.
Snowtrout
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by Snowtrout »

I discussed with my wife the options everyone suggested, had her read your advice on this thread and showed her pics of shepherd pass that others have taken (she did have that "what the" look in her eyes for a bit) and she decided on upper Kern, exiting out Shepherd Pass instead of Whitney. Looks to be around 60 total trail miles and we will spend 2-3 days exploring the lakes and area that feed the Kern. I have found pictures on here and other sites showing this area and it looks awesome. Guess I should start calling it the Kern-Shepherd trail now :)

As Maverick said, hopefully someone will post a TR from Shepherd pass before our trip so we have an idea what to expect when heading that area. I'm sure more questions will arise as this trip gets closer.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Post by Wandering Daisy »

I was looking on Google Earth last night and the current images show the wash-outs on Shepherd Pass. You can also see the trail quite clearly. I have camped at those lakes on the top near the pass and they are fine if weather is good. Can be quite windy. There used to be some sheltered spots in scrub timber above the Pothole, off to the right of the trail (if going down). I have never camped lower, but just looking down on Anvil Camp it looked nice.
wanderin.jack
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Post by wanderin.jack »

Thanks everyone, great info here! We are planning a similar trip coming in over Cottonwood P, down to the Kern via Big and Little Whitney M and up the Kern to the Milestone Basin, over to Wrights Lakes then out over Crabtree Pass and the Miter Basin. This thread has been very helpful, especially re: the Milestone Basin. I have most of it figured out but just have one question.

Heading south on the JMT from Tyndall Crk, how is the best way to get into the Wrights Lakes?
A) short cut behind the Tyndall Frog Ponds over the pass north of Tawny Pt or
B) just stay on the JMT to the Bighorn Plateau and cut left up into the basin?

Thanks all!
Wanderin' Jack