Tehipite Valley

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Re: Tehipite Valley

Post by Wandering Daisy »

OK Jim- when were you there? What dates what year. That would give me an idea of when flies may be less bothersome.
dapperdave
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by dapperdave »

WD,

The Wife and I visited TV in the last week of October 2014 from Roads End (in via Copper Creek out via MF Kings, JMT, Woods Creek.) The trail from Simpson Meadow to TV. was faint, but not a bushwhack by any means.

We encountered "Black Flies", they were like a small black beetle which didn't bite, but liked to swarm your face and get in your eyes.

IMO the section of the MF Kings from around a mile below Devil's Bathtub to the JMT is wonderfully scenic.

The bridge near the JMT had not been rebuilt.

Dave
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Dave wrote:
IMO the section of the MF Kings from around a mile below Devil's Bathtub to the JMT is wonderfully scenic.
Best water show in the Sierra during peak run-off, in an average to above average snow year.
Encountered black flies in July, but none in August, same for rattlers. Black flies were also busy on the Copper Creek Trail in July when doing
Simpson from RE in another year.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Hobbes
Topix Fanatic

Post by Hobbes »

All right, now I'm officially stoked. One, because I wasn't sure about the trail conditions from Simpson (if coming in from S Lake) to TV, and secondly, because TV would make for an awesome 2016 meet-up.

Mav, if you go ahead and announce the 2016 location, then I won't have to think about TV this year. LOL
DavePloessel
Topix Acquainted

Post by DavePloessel »

jenreyn wrote:I did a loop from Lamarck Col to Martha Lake, over the pass to Lake 10232, over Blue Canyon Pass down to Tehipite and out South Lake. We did that in 6-7 days but it was rushed at times. I honestly wished I had more time to explore in the valley itself and fish the river. There are some great swimming holes between Tehipite and Simpson Meadow along with great looking trout. I have wanted to go back to just fish that section. Beautiful water.....amazing trees; They were really impressive. Huge old growth, cedars and oaks. My partner is an arborist and he was in awe at the size of some of the trees. The trail is there, however you have to look very closely at times. It is overgrown in places, but I heard two years ago the Park had a trail crew go through and cut back some of the foliage. I heard they rebuilt the cabin at Simpson Meadow and rerouted the trail through the meadow. That was the crux for us in regards to following the trail as it disappeared near where the bridge used to exist. I would recommend fall as the time to go. We were there in mid September and it was still hot, approaching low 90's. There is sufficient canopy to keep you cool enough. But if I had a choice to go back I'd try early October. There may even be some fall color in the oaks by that time. The only thing I'd really caution you on are the black flies! They were horrendous. I brought a bug net because I was warned about them. However, because the trail is hard to follow at times( looking for padded duff), the mesh in front of my eyes made it hard enough to decipher the way trail went. So without the bug net we booked it until we were a few miles before Simpson Meadow. We didn't see any snakes, although I know the place has the reputation for them. Nor did we encounter poison oak once in the valley proper. We passed some on the switchbacks down into the valley. All in all its a wonderfully wild place in the Sierras. I think of it as one of those places that is somewhat unspoiled due to the nature of not many people going there. Also, as stated above, the fishing below Simpson looked terrific. I didn't catch many in Tehipite Valley proper though. Heres a few pics from my trip about four years ago.
that looks awesome!

TV is one of the two possible "long" trips my wife and I have planned for this summer.. i think those pics will help sway the case that way
Mike M.
Topix Expert

Post by Mike M. »

I have decided to go in from South Lake- take the trails all the way to Simpson Meadow, 2-3 days or so going down and back to Tehipite and unless running out of time, return up Palisade Creek to Palisade Lake and follow the High Route back to Dusy Basin
That's what I would do, and what I did in 1977, during a similar spell of drought years. Back then there was a sturdy bridge across Palisade Creek at the JMT/Simpson Meadow junction. That bridge is gone now; you have to ford the creek at a wide spot below the old bridge. That spot is well marked. Also, back in the day, there was a log-bridge crossing at Simpson Meadow, but it was badly beaten up then and no longer exists, to the best of my knowledge. Bottom line: a June hike down there this year from the JMT will involve two high-water crossings. I'd probably opt for early August.

The section of trail from the Simpson Meadow/JMT junction to where it intersects Cartridge Creek is absolutely beautiful and is highly recommended. At Simpson Meadow, once across the river, the trail down to Tehipite (at least back in 1977) was in OK shape and easy to follow. It is a hot hike, so be sure to do it early in the day. I saw a few rattlesnakes and some exotic flowering succulents. Open views are hard to find in Tehipite Valley. It has a mixed forest floor, which blocks good views. Bugs were bad down there; I found sanctuary by walking into the middle of the river, to a little rock/sand bar, which was surprisingly free of insects. Great views of the dramatic canyons on the south side of the valley can be had by walking upslope on the north side. I only stayed one night and found the place a little inhospitable because of the insects, the lack of open vistas, and the heat. It is worth a visit for sure. My brother loves this place and has spent weeks there; it is one of his favorites. Go figure.

Mike
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by Jimr »

If you don't know where you're going, then any path will get you there.
jenreyn
Topix Acquainted

Post by jenreyn »

Funny you say no insects in the river or sand bar....that is exactly where we camped. On a sand bar since it was devoid of flies and such :)
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by Jimr »

The thumbshots.com icon brings you to the next installment of the saga.
If you don't know where you're going, then any path will get you there.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Wow! What a story. I am glad it all turned out OK.