TR: Alger Lakes, Koip and Kuna Peaks 7/24-7/27

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Rockyroad
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Re: TR: Alger Lakes, Koip and Kuna Peaks 7/24-7/27

Post by Rockyroad »

Ah, that's what I suspected from the creamy blue color of the lakes. Thanks for the confirmation.
dougieb
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by dougieb »

Parker Pass was the second place I ever backpacked in the Sierra and I'll never forget it. At that time I was such a rookie that I didn't bring a down jacket, thinking a rain jacket over a thermal would be proper insulation. :confused: I've logged a few hundred trail miles since then and thankfully I've gained some wisdom since then. Anyway, thanks for bringing back the memories and good work spotting those sheep!
Rockyroad
Topix Regular

Post by Rockyroad »

You're welcome dougieb. It's funny that I didn't have high expectations from a place that was so accessible. I was just looking for a shortish 3-nighter to take my brother. But I was wowed by the colors of the area: the red peaks, the milky blue lakes, and the sunset . And surprised to not see anyone else in the area. And the bighorn sighting just made it extra special and unforgettable for me too.
flyzapper
Topix Novice

Post by flyzapper »

giantbrookie wrote: There will be no problem with water. The reason is that Parker Creek is not fed solely by seasonal snow melt as most High Sierran streams are--it has the added advantage of being fed by some rapidly shrinking small glaciers. Because of this you get year-round water in Parker Creek even during the fall following a dry winter.
Thanks for the info! I got my wilderness permits and I'm getting excited for my trip!
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

Flyzapper wrote:
Thanks for the info! I got my wilderness permits and I'm getting excited for my trip!
Please write up a TR when you get back from your trip. :)
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org