Pack Ovens

Have a favorite trail recipe or technique you'd like to share? Please do! We also like reviews of various trail food products out there. The Backcountry Food Topix forum is the place to discuss all things related to food and nourishment while in the Sierra wilderness (as well as favorite trail head eateries).
JWreno
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: Pack Ovens

Post by JWreno »

I have baked on camping trips when the focus was base camping not backpacking. One of my best meals was when we used a toboggan to haul in a dutch oven when winter camping. We made a pot roast dinner and later baked blueberry cobbler in it.
Jeff
DavePloessel
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Re: Pack Ovens

Post by DavePloessel »

I was just scanning this section for food ideas and thoughtI would offer my opinion. Rather than do a do-it-yourselfer, I bought a Bemco backpackers oven. At about 50 bucks it's one of the best gear investments I've ever made. Backcountry pizzas, brownies, baked brie, buiscuts and gravy, cinnamon rolls, cookies, pastries, enchiladas, and about a hundred other dishes all open up for 2 pounds of added weight. I do leave it at home if I am planning on 20+ mile UL days, but beyond that it goes