TR: Forgotten Pass And Maybe "Forgotten Peak", Feb 8th, 2015

A forum that'll feed your need for exploring the limitless adventure possibilities found in "other" places. Post trip reports or ask questions about outdoor adventures beyond the Sierra Nevada here.
ExploreABitMore
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

TR: Forgotten Pass And Maybe "Forgotten Peak", Feb 8th, 2015

Post by ExploreABitMore »

With such a mysterious and intriguing name as Forgotten Pass, I knew I would have to explore this area of the Inyos eventually. Finally got there back on Feb 8th of this year. Quite an amazing day with some weather moving through. Clouds were racing up and down the mountain all day, alternating between partly cloudy and almost white out, leaving me getting rained (and/or sleeted) on occasionally, but just enough to be invigorating and not so much as to be unpleasant at all.

I tried for the peak to the South of Forgotten Pass, which I have been calling "Forgotten Peak", although it has no official name as far as I know. Unfortunately, once I got up there I realized it had three summits. Anyone know which is the highest? The two Northern ones look like they are within a contour line of each other and the Southern one appears to be lower than the other two. The weather was looking nastier, I was spent as far as energy goes and I also found a huge cairn on the Northern summit so I was satisfied enough with that one, but it would be interesting to know which really is the highest.

Staring out with rainbows and a pretty sunrise on the drive in to the trailhead

Some times the cloud cover got thick, but I still had plenty of great views to enjoy at times:

The views up by the Pass itself were slim due to cloud cover, and especially so on Forgotten peak, but I managed to get a few photos:

Very nice day in the Inyos.
Sierra Nevada, Mojave Desert, Night Sky Photography: http://www.evanthomasphoto.com/
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Re: TR: Forgotten Pass And Maybe "Forgotten Peak", Feb 8th,

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Are the "Inyos" south of White Mountains? The photos remind me of the White Mountains. Beautiful.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

WD wrote:
Are the "Inyos" south of White Mountains?
Yeap, here is another TR to the area from another HST member, which may answer Evan's question
concerning which is the highest. Cool website by the way Evan. :)
http://peaksforfreaks.blogspot.com/2014 ... -inyo.html
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
ExploreABitMore
Topix Regular

Post by ExploreABitMore »

Glad you guys liked the photos, thanks!

WanderingDaisy, to add to what Maverick said, the Inyos and Whites form a fairly continuous desert mountain chain on the E side of Owens Valley and I believe the (rather arbitrary) border between the two is somewhere near the road that heads East out of Big Pine. Both ranges can definitely feel very similar at times.

Maverick, I ran across that same TR trying to figure this out a few weeks back. Unfortunately, they were on a bit different of a route than I took on my trip. Although, it does appear I stole a name they already used for another high point along the ridge they ascended!! I guess I will have to just revert back to what Zdon calls it in his guidebook - Peak 10,457

I'll throw up an image of my route to help clarify where exactly I am referring to.

Sierra Nevada, Mojave Desert, Night Sky Photography: http://www.evanthomasphoto.com/