North Dome Camping?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
InsaneBoost
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Re: North Dome Camping?

Post by InsaneBoost »

So no worries as long as weather is supposed to be clear I assume? Otherwise stay towards the woods?
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Post by Wandering Daisy »

CharlieW
Topix Acquainted

Post by CharlieW »

I did this 4 or 5 times in the 90s. I generally cowboy camped on the dome itself, but remember more sheltered campsites nearby. It was a fantastic view of Half Dome as you can see above, and surprisingly uncrowded considering location and view. A few other campers were there maybe half the time. I guess it might be more crowded now ... but maybe not since it isn't part of anyone's thru-hike.
InsaneBoost
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Post by InsaneBoost »

Should I be thinking about bringing an extra Platypus or something else for water due to the lack of streams and such? Right now I have a 3L MSR Reservoir, and a 1L bottle.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Lehamite, Indian Canyon and Royal Arch Creeks have very small drainages. After three years of drought, underflow and springs that may normally feed these creeks after surface snow is gone, may be inadequate to create flow. The Yosemite web-cam shows the flow in Yosemite Creek, which has an extensive watershed, and it looks pretty anemic compared to normal. I would take two platypus's and fill up when you can. I have carried two full 2-l platypuses for up to 5 miles. It is a bummer when you realize you did not need them, but it saves the day if your water source turns out dry! If you also look at today's web cam from Sentinal Dome, you can see that all the recent snow has already melted.
markskor
Founding Member - RIP
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by markskor »

Assume, as you mentioned this to be a short hike, you are starting off Tuolumne off 120 - doing an out and back to North Dome? Been following this thread for a while, and for the last 3 years have done a similar trek as my season's warm-up hike, except, instead of an "out and back" trip - ugh!, I prefer going all the way Tuolumne - Valley...about the same miles - thoughts: (see TOPO)

Starting Tuolumne (stay overnight BP?) - the main problem is getting from TM to your starting trailhead (Olmsted Point has no overnight parking); and, once down in the Valley, getting back to the car - I make great use of both the free shuttles and YARTS.

Suggest 2 possible options -
1) down Snow Creek - After arising TM BP, grab the morning free Yosemite TM shuttle at the store (which conveniently only goes to/ as far as Olmsted Point) and start the trail from there (BTW, an easy TH to get a permit the day before) and almost all downhill to top of Snow Creek. Forget about North Dome here. Camp just below the bridge (see WD's picture) - great views, good water...and then down Snow Creek trail next day. IMHO, the views from North Dome and the Snow Creek overlook are quite similar...except, one has water. BTW, hiking up the Snow Creek switchbacks, not recommended for anybody, especially if a cherished girlfriend.

or...
2) down Yosemite Falls Trail - Park car at (or YARTS morning bus TM to) the first Porcupine Flats TH (the one with the chitter)...start out there. The last water before the rim (as stated) Lahamite Creek, located just before you go over the hump to see the Arch, and afterwards visit North Dome. If staying North Dome, this is a shorter hiking day, alas no water close at the end, and I usually backtrack to Snow Creek Overlook again to camp, or continue on west hiking the north rim trail to the top of Yosemite Falls and staying overnight there. Later in the season, expect Royal Arch and Indian Canyon creeks to be dry...Lahamite probably will still have water.

BTW, great swimming holes atop Yosemite Falls, and as most visiters atop the big falls are day-hikers, you will probably have the top all to yourself after 5:00 PM - magic!. Next day, down the Falls trail...Stay Valley BP and/or evening YARTS to go back to your car.
Mountainman who swims with trout
tim
Topix Expert

Post by tim »

We'll be up there next week before Tioga Rd opens, so will need to ascend from the Valley. I was assuming Snow Creek is the better option to ascend since getting to the campsite requires less altitude gain. But are you suggesting an ascent of the Yosemite Falls trail would be preferable to Snow Creek? We'd plan to do the loop over North Dome on the second day and descend on Day 3.
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

Tioga Road opened today.....

ETA: Just saw another announcement clarifying it's only open from the east side to the park gate.

Ah well, I was halfway there to going to North Dome myself, but there are other places to go.

:thumbsup:
Last edited by AlmostThere on Thu Apr 16, 2015 9:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
markskor
Founding Member - RIP

Post by markskor »

tim wrote: Are you suggesting an ascent of the Yosemite Falls trail would be preferable to Snow Creek? We'd plan to do the loop over North Dome on the second day and descend on Day 3.
If a 3-day trip just to see North Dome and early in the season, Snow Creek trail probably easier, especially if camping at the bridge at the top. Yours is a good hiking plan...sounds fun.
Both trails can be a slow slog if on new-season legs...and if doing a rim-loop, starting at Camp 4, you have that 800 feet of up after the big falls (Yosemite Point), so figure that in too.
BTW, Later on in the summer, Snow Creek trail sees all sun - gets friggin' hot/no water - at that time actually prefer the falls trail but both similar in time to the top...Snow Creek does have that 2-miles of flats before you start the ups.

FWIW, would rather come in/down from 120 any day...but I am old.
All 3 THs starting from the Valley and going up (Happy Isles, Snow Creek, and Yosemite Falls) have been known to cause great harm to relationships, especially among overloaded novice hikers.
Mountainman who swims with trout
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

An ascent of Yosemite Falls is preferable to Snow Creek for me... but a start on the OBOFRT would be preferable to either. I'd take a few days and just do the north rim trail. Visit El Cap, Eagle Peak, top of Yosemite Falls, and plunge down Snow Creek to Mirror Lake to freak out tourists with my backpacker grunge.