George Creek today

Questions and reports related to Sierra Nevada current and forecast conditions, as well as general precautions and safety information. Trail conditions, fire/smoke reports, mosquito reports, weather and snow conditions, stream crossing information, and more.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Re: George Creek today

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Thanks Mav. Funny, I read that trip report and I guess it just did not register in my head, that they had descended to Wallace Lake. Guess because if I were anticipating continuing on to Trojan and Barnard, dropping to Wallace Lake would require another huge elevation gain to get back on the ridge. But, again, this is an account of a day-hike/climb, not hauling a pack over the pass. In general, I prefer to go up the more difficult side of a pass, and descend the easier. Therefore, if I were to do Vacation Pass, I would go from west to east. Best plan may be to go in Shepherd Pass, on a trial, while your pack is heavy, and then come back over Vacation Pass when your pack is basically no more than a day-pack. Then you would have to walk the road back to Shepherd Pass or arrange for someone to pick you up. I also would not do Vacation Pass solo.

One thing we need to clear up is the "Vacation Pass" that each of us is talking about. By "Vacation Pass", I do NOT mean the location that is on the topo map. I mean crossing the plateau about half to quarter mile north. The Vacation Pass on the map is relevant IF you had climbed the east ridge of Carl Heller. If simply crossing the ridge, you would not choose to go to the pass as located on the map. From Google Earth, it is evident that it is a much easier approach on the east side if you simply climb north of the pass shown on the map.
Hobbes
Topix Fanatic
Experience: N/A

Re: George Creek today

Post by Hobbes »

Those were my thoughts as well: groups of base camp climbers, each ascending VP from the west.

Jim & I are planning on doing a quickie Taboose->Kearsarge hike in May. I was quoted $65 to get dropped @ the Taboose TH after parking our cars @ Onion. I'm not sure if you can access George creek from the Shepherd dirt road, or have to go straight from the 395. If you could get there on the Shepherd road, then I'm pretty sure he wouldn't charge much differently to follow you to the George TH where you could park your car, then simply drop you off @ Symmes (the Shepherd pass TH) on the way back to Onion valley road.

Shoot me a PM if you'd like the contact information.

Edit: Oops, didn't see the no-solo part. Well, perhaps you can get Kathy W to go with you. (She has photos posted here of Barnard from George creek on the same trip as Bob Burd's above: http://kathywing.smugmug.com/California ... /i-TK6jRr4) That would be a kick-ass trip report. I wouldn't be opposed either, except we're planning on hitting Kern basin on the way out.