Emigrant Wilderness conditions?

Questions and reports related to Sierra Nevada current and forecast conditions, as well as general precautions and safety information. Trail conditions, fire/smoke reports, mosquito reports, weather and snow conditions, stream crossing information, and more.
Sierra Miguel
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Emigrant Wilderness conditions?

Post by Sierra Miguel »

Any beta on trail conditions? Ranger tells me they haven't been up there yet, roads are still closed until Wednesday or so, but five or six visitors have hiked up from the highway.

Planning to go up the 25th.
DriveFly44
Topix Regular

Re: Emigrant Wilderness conditions?

Post by DriveFly44 »

We attempted to hike to Camp and Bear this past weekend. Since Crabtree is closed, we were going to hike the 6 miles to the TH and then head out from there. There was a fair amount of snow (Friday) so we turned back and hiked down the Tuolumne River instead. It's really warm here now so I'm sure a lot has melted. Although temps are going to drop again tomorrow.

Ladd
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

Thanks for the 411 Ladd.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Sierra Miguel
Topix Acquainted

Post by Sierra Miguel »

DriveFly44 wrote:Since Crabtree is closed, we were going to hike the 6 miles to the TH and then head out from there. There was a fair amount of snow (Friday)
Thanks, Ladd.

Sounds like you hiked up the usual F.S. road, 4N26, starting from the ski resort? Where was the snow, how much? I'm guessing this was from the recent storm, because I wasn't expecting any old snow below 10000' or so, based on photos I've seen of the Merced.
DriveFly44
Topix Regular

Post by DriveFly44 »

Sierra Miguel wrote:Sounds like you hiked up the usual F.S. road, 4N26, starting from the ski resort? Where was the snow, how much?
Yes, that's the one. There was a fair amount of snow right after you park and cross the Tuolumne on 4N26. There were families sledding there in fact. We may be getting some weather again tomorrow so we'll see. We'll probably give it another go this coming weekend and if we do, I'll post a TR here on HST.

Ladd