Bearikade rental locations

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
oleander
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Bearikade rental locations

Post by oleander »

Does anyone know of a list of Bearikade rental locations around the Sierra?

Yosemite & SEKi rent them out, right? - But does *every* ranger station rent them out?

Has anyone rented a Bearikade from Lodgepole in Sequoia NP?

thanks,
Elizabeth
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Bearikade rental locations

Post by rlown »

I think the parks only rent out Garcia 812's. The best place to check for a bearikade rental is at http://www.wild-ideas.net/rent-a-bearikade/

They rent them.

I seriously doubt from some of the rental pages on the NPS sites with a $75 refundable deposit that would cover a bearikade. Covers a Garcia though.

Wild-Ideas does not have a list of places that might rent out a bearikade. Call them.

IMNSHO, Just buy one, and you're done.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

It has been over 5 years ago, but I rented a Bearikade at Roads End. They had a limited number (?? 4-5) and require a large ($70??) deposit (refundable when you return the can) and the daily rental was more than the Garcia, but cannot recall how much. I rented the weekender because at that time I wanted to test it out before buying my own. I think they also had an "expedition".
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Roads End did carry them several years back as WD mentioned, they had a limited supply compared to
the Garcia's.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
oleander
Topix Expert

Post by oleander »

OK. Good to know.

I own a Bearikade Weekender myself. Looking to supply a group who is going with me. People who rarely hike in bear country, and just want to rent.

I've rented from Wild Ideas before, without incident. Just wondering if Lodgepole might also carry the Bearikade. I will try calling the park.

- Elizabeth
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

You can rent from visitor centers in SEKI.

The website is best, because after they mail it to you, you have some time to practice packing it. People who don't get it prior to the trip tend to not leave enough space in the backpack and to end up with not enough space to fit all the food/the wrong food in the wrong packaging.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

after searching around the seki visitor center page, i found this: http://www.sequoiahistory.org/img/docs/ ... ebsite.pdf

lists places and prices.. sweet! note the little red stars.

I'd still call before you get there and find they're out :( Agree with AT 100% you need some prep time on how to load it and where it goes in your pack.
CharlieW
Topix Acquainted

Post by CharlieW »

Used Bearikades sell quickly and I think with little depreciation, for example at backpackinglight.com. There are certainly more WTB than WTS posts. It may be less money to buy a new one and sell it after your trip. Check out previous sell prices (just search the Gear Swap forum) to see if I'm right.

(Edit: one advantage this gives you is that you can practice stuffing it at home.)