JMT 2007 Where to Park Car

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Hoss
Topix Newbie
Experience: N/A

JMT 2007 Where to Park Car

Post by Hoss »

Hi,
I am hiking the JMT from Happy Isles to Whitney this summer with my son, leaving July 18th. Reservation in hand! Driving out from New Mexico.

I am trying to decide how to arrange my resupplys and shuttles and need to know what the parking situation is. Can I leave a car at
1. Valley Floor
2. Tuolumne
3. Reds Meadow
4. Mammoth Lakes
5. Whitney Portal

In particular what is available in the town of Mammoth Lakes?

If so where, GPS coordinates so my daughter who is joining us for a
section can find it or provide detailed directions??

Also can I personnally leave a resupply at Tuolumne and Reds on my drive out or do I have to send it through the mail?

I have read the drill for VVR and MTR so will mail stuff there.

Thanks,
Larry
markskor
Founding Member - RIP
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by markskor »

"I am trying to decide how to arrange my resupplys and shuttles and need to know what the parking situation is. Can I leave a car at
1. Valley Floor
2. Tuolumne
3. Reds Meadow
4. Mammoth Lakes
5. Whitney Portal"

I do not know what is “exactly” considered legal but…I have left a car for a month in the main Curry dirt lot….ditto at Tuolumne (near the wilderness permit shack). Make sure there is no visible trash – rangers check cars for this daily in Tuolumne….fine possible if...
I believe leaving a car at Reds Meadow is a NO NO, but right up above, in Mammoth ski area, you can leave a car long term in the main (Yodeler) lot, here is the shuttle stop for the tram up and down to Reds… and you can grab a cab/ (bus ?) from there into Mammoth…not too far…everything is in Mammoth. If leaving a car at the Portal, I believe there is long-term parking lot up a little ways from the store, but always check in with Doug in the store first.

"In particular what is available in the town of Mammoth Lakes?"

Everything. Topozone has UTM coordinates here on top…note - red dot centered at main Yodeler parking lot …moving the dot, moves coordinates, depending. See: http://www.topozone.com/map.asp?lat=37. ... &layer=DRG

"If so where, GPS coordinates so my daughter who is joining us for a
section can find it or provide detailed directions??"
UTM 11 320244E 4168912N (NAD27)

I have also left food (boxed or in a white 5-gal bucket) in Tuolumne, at the store/Post Office for a modest fee.
Mark
Mountainman who swims with trout
Hoss
Topix Newbie

Post by Hoss »

Mark,
Thanks for the great info.
Love it when someone understands GPS coordinates.

My daughter is joining us for the Tuolumne to Mammoth section so I will probably leave my car at Tuolumne and bus down to the valley. I will meet her at Ski Mammoth on her way in from New Mexico leaving one car there where you suggested and taking the other back to Tuolumne. Then after her section move my car down to Whitney and either bus back up or have her drop us off at Reds before she returns to NM. Will check out Whitney first per your suggestion.

I think that works unless I missed something.

Thanks Again,
Great forum you have here!
Larry
Snow Nymph
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Snow Nymph »

When we did the JMT in 2001, we left our vehicles at the Mammoth Mountain Inn (give them the keys, park in the back). From there we took the Yartz bus to Curry Village. Both vehicles were there because we drove up separately.

SnowDude dropped food caches at Tuolumne Meadows and Reds Meadows the day before I got there. We mailed another cache to Muir Ranch, and friends brought another one to Charlotte Lake. We found out from our resuppliers that our ride from Whitney Portal to Mammoth couldn't make it.

We ended up hitchhiking, 3 rides . . . WP to Lone Pine, LP to Bishop, Bishop to Mammoth Mountain Inn. :D
Expose yourself to your deepest fear; after that, fear has no power, and the fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes. You are free . . . . Jim Morrison

http://snownymph.smugmug.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ndwoods
Founding Member

Post by ndwoods »

I left my car last summer at Whitney Portal....Dee
http://ndeewoods.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Hoss
Topix Newbie

Post by Hoss »

Snow Nymph,
Thanks for the reply.
I had read your trip report (compliments on your awsome photos and website) but was not sure where in Mammoth you had stayed. Good info about Mammoth Mountain Inn.

My son and I will probably have to gut up and hump food from MTR to Whitney. I have been working hard to get my base weight down so that will probably work out. Until this year I have been used to carrying 50-60lbs on 6day trips into the Pecos and Gila Wilderness here in NM. I've dumped my 8lb Denali Pro pack and old 5lb tent for a new 3lb light pack and tarptent so I should be ok. Althought those consecutive days of big passes near the end will test me.

I'll probably have to rely on repositioning the cars as my hitchhiking skills can't compete with yours. It has something to do with my ugly legs and facial hair!! LOL.

I'll be celebrating my 60th birthday on the trail with my son and daughter. My wife's arthitis prevents her from joining but this has been one of my lifetime goals and I am looking forward to it.

Thanks again for the help,
Love your signature line!!
Larry