Visalia approves $2 million for Sequoia National Park buses

All discussion related to transportation to, from and within the Sierra Nevada. Need directions or flight information? Info on road conditions? A ride to the trail head? Can you offer a ride, or do you run a transportation business or shuttle service for the Sierra Nevada? Come on in and post the details!
copeg
Founding Member & Forums Administrator
Founding Member & Forums Administrator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by copeg »

http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercuryn ... 419110.htm
Associated Press
VISALIA, Calif. - The city will spend more than $2 million on buses to shuttle visitors to Sequoia National Park.

The city council approved the spending Monday so Visalia can buy or lease buses to capitalize on tourism to the park, about 55 miles away. Park officials have supported the idea in hopes of easing traffic and parking congestion.

The buses will leave from Visalia and will offer rides between lodges and major attractions such as the General Sherman Tree, the Giant Forest Museum, Crescent Meadow and Moro Rock.

City officials said the trip from Visalia will cost about $5 to $10 and will likely include the entrance fee to the park. Bus rides within the park will be free.

A shuttle system has been in the works since a restoration project began in the Giant Forest in 1999, said park spokeswoman Alexandra Picavet.

The city plans to start the shuttle service May 25 in time for Memorial Day weekend, the kickoff to the park's peak visitor season.
SteveB
Founding Member
Experience: N/A

Post by SteveB »

This is another one of those issues that has me torn (seem to be a lot, lately!). In the Park's perspective, increasing tourism during the height of the season with the use of the busses would be good, generating a bit more revenue, and allowing people who otherwise can't get transportation to visit the Park. But on the other hand, can the Park really handle an influx of many more visitors during peak season? And are the busses electric or hybrid, or will they be gouting yet more exhaust along the General's Highway, down into KC? What about winter runs?

Dunno... I guess I still have to think on it. At least it'll be reliable transportation for us backpackers! :p
Windwalker
Founding Member

Post by Windwalker »

There are some really narrow sections of road on your way out to Moro Rock/Crescent Meadow...pretty tight with two cars let alone a bus.
SteveB
Founding Member

Post by SteveB »

Windwalker wrote:There are some really narrow sections of road on your way out to Moro Rock/Crescent Meadow...pretty tight with two cars let alone a bus.
Man, I can't imagine anyone wanting to DRIVE out to Crescent Meadow. :) It's such an incredible walk, especially very early in the morning. I took a walk out there one spring morning a couple years ago, and detoured out to Huckleberry Meadow. Was treated to a family of deer casually enjoying breakfast there, so i just sat and watched them for like 30 minutes. I'm sure they knew I was there, but it didn't disturb them at all. Can't help but enjoy a walk out there. :)
TehipiteTom
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by TehipiteTom »

SteveB wrote:This is another one of those issues that has me torn (seem to be a lot, lately!). In the Park's perspective, increasing tourism during the height of the season with the use of the busses would be good, generating a bit more revenue, and allowing people who otherwise can't get transportation to visit the Park. But on the other hand, can the Park really handle an influx of many more visitors during peak season? And are the busses electric or hybrid, or will they be gouting yet more exhaust along the General's Highway, down into KC? What about winter runs?

Dunno... I guess I still have to think on it. At least it'll be reliable transportation for us backpackers! :p
I think any increase in visitors will likely be offset (or more than offset) by cars off the road (because some people will take the bus rather than drive). Which, IMO, is an unmitigated good.