TR: Rincon Trail to Jordan Hot Springs. 3/29 - 4/2/15

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Thebrenner
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

TR: Rincon Trail to Jordan Hot Springs. 3/29 - 4/2/15

Post by Thebrenner »

March 29, 2015
Rincon Trail to Forks of the Kern

It was a scorching, sweaty, exhausting, sans shady 12.5 mile hike complete with way too many PUDS (Pointless Ups and Downs) to the Forks of the Kern. The trail is actually a multi use hiking, biking and motorcycle trail which may explain some of the PUDS. The road to the Forks of the Kern trailhead is still closed for the season so our only choice was to go on the Rincon Trail. We started the Rincon trail where it intersects Sherman Pass Road.

Along the sandy trail I saw both mountain lion and bear prints.....They were BIG!
IMG_1034.jpg
IMG_1035.jpg
March 30, 2015
Forks of the Kern to 3.8 miles below Jordan Hot Springs.
The first order of business this morning was to cross the mighty Kern. The Kern is always cold, in March it is even colder and at 8 am it is numbing cold. The current was just strong enough to make the crossing challenging. We spent the day walking up the Kern and following the bear and cat tracks....there were a lot of them!
IMG_1041.jpg
March 31, 2015
Jordan Hot Springs to Kern Flat.
The trail to Jordon Hot Springs made its way up through miles and miles of burned forest that reminded me of the game pick-up-sticks. Several times F-15 jets blew past us intruding on the solitude and sending our hands flying to our ears. We enjoyed exploring around the hot springs looking at all the detritus and imagining what it must have been like here back in the day. Interesting side note....all the maps that I've seen spell Jordan hot springs, but the brand new sign at HS spells it JORDON.
IMG_1058.jpg
IMG_1054.jpg
IMG_1052.jpg
April 1, 2015
Kern Flat to Forks of the Kern
It was COLD last night and we woke to ice on our tents. We took our time hiking back to the Forks of the Kern and putzed around in the afternoon playing cribbage and exploring the banks of the Kern.
IMG_1047.jpg
April 2, 2015 Forks of the Kern to Sherman Pass Road.
IMG_1033.jpg
It was a great early season hike and the weather was perfect.....which I see is about to change in a few days. For a more detailed report and more photos visit my website: http://www.sole2soulhiking.com
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: TR: Rincon Trail to Jordan Hot Springs. 3/29 - 4/2/15

Post by maverick »

Thanks for the TR and pictures, those antlers are impressive!
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
gary c.
Topix Fanatic

Post by gary c. »

Well, your hike to the Kern like you told me about was that and then some. Looks like you had a great hike. I have friends that go to Jordan every spring and break down the dam enough to drain and clean it out. Those are probably their sand bags in the picture. It's much nicer to soak in after a good cleaning.
Last edited by gary c. on Wed Apr 08, 2015 3:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"On this proud and beautiful mountain we have lived hours of fraternal, warm and exalting nobility. Here for a few days we have ceased to be slaves and have really been men. It is hard to return to servitude."
-- Lionel Terray
RoguePhotonic
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by RoguePhotonic »

If anyone is ever interested in volunteering to work in this area there normally is an annual project with the forest service and many folks that work with PCTA that work the area.

I'd have to check the dates but it's about a month from now they are heading in to remove trees to the Kern and hopefully open the trail to Red Rock Meadow
gary c.
Topix Fanatic

Post by gary c. »

RoguePhotonic wrote:If anyone is ever interested in volunteering to work in this area there normally is an annual project with the forest service and many folks that work with PCTA that work the area.

I'd have to check the dates but it's about a month from now they are heading in to remove trees to the Kern and hopefully open the trail to Red Rock Meadow

I don't want to hijack the thread but could you send me the info in a PM?
"On this proud and beautiful mountain we have lived hours of fraternal, warm and exalting nobility. Here for a few days we have ceased to be slaves and have really been men. It is hard to return to servitude."
-- Lionel Terray
Thebrenner
Topix Acquainted

Post by Thebrenner »

Gary c.....
YUP Thanks to your TR .....I was able to do what I I said I would do! AND now I see both Lloyd meadows rd and Sherman Pass Road are open....and a few others too..........hmmmm wonder what I will cook up for the weekend.

Maverick.....
Yes, finding the antlers was a highlight for me. They are indeed impressive.

Rogue.....
Thx for sending the info on the trail work......

Happy trails!
katemonster
Topix Newbie
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by katemonster »

I know your hike was nearly a decade ago, but do you remember what the Sacratone Flat Trail (33E19) section was like? (overgrown or managed?) It's the northbound section between the Rincon Trail joining the Kern River across from Forks of the Kern and Lion Meadow Trail.